Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vomitting since sunday. not holding anything down..

(18 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Tue 06-Nov-12 14:03:37

On sunday I threw up at about midday. I had two glasses of wine the night before. Felt fine. I am taking regular slow release tramadol and have been able to drink two normal sized glasses with no problem (although I did wonder if this was the problem at first).

I threw every tiny morsel of food in my body (i had not eaten much) and then some. I continued until I started throwing up the yellow bile, until there was nothing left. I then could not hold down even a sip of water.

I had a nap, and then in the evening, after holding down a small piece of bread, I had a small meal and held it down.

In addition to this by back 'went' again, which means searing pain down my back, legs and I took 200mg slow release tramadol, diclofenac (did not consider that I had been sick) omeprazol, paracetemol and went to bed (this is my 'emergency' plan when my back 'goes').

I slept ok, woke in the morning feeling a little better in terms of back pain but a bit rough stomach wise, guessed I was hungry. I ate some porridge (three-four mouthfuls) and a sip of water, then took my usual 100mg dose of slow release tramadol, nothing else. Less than 1 hour later I threw it all up, and kept going right to the bile again. And from then every time I sipped water (tried warming it) it came straight back up. I also spent some time dry wretching.

I have held nothing down food wise since sunday night. DH made dinner of tuna pasta bake, my stomach was gurgling so badly I ate a small bowful, had a sip of very diluted squash and it came back up. I didn't take any tramadol last night.

I had half a glass of water through the night which stayed down, and so had a peice of bread and some very diluted squash this morning, no tramadol. It all came up within 10 minutes. Had some more water, it came up.

I did have a theory about me throwing up, linked to chemical pain (most medicals just waive that off) as i normally through up just before my back 'goes', and did this time, but my back pain has eased and I can't hold anything down at all.

I went for a wee yesterday, very dark and smelly, in the morning, and again this morning, very very dark. that's it. I have dry lips and a stinking headache.

It is not a virus I don't think as neither of the children have it, nor DH. I have not felt this physically sick since I had HG when pg.

Should I call the GP or brave the shops for provisions? what should I buy?

Pavlovthecat Tue 06-Nov-12 14:12:15

bumping before i brave the school run

lljkk Tue 06-Nov-12 14:25:09

Give up on food for rest of today & concentrate on little sips of water every 3 minutes. Dehydration is the problem. Yes I think you should ring GP if you aren't able to keep down food tomorrow, either.

Are you at all feverish?

VoterColonelSebastianDoyle Tue 06-Nov-12 14:34:31

it sounds like your quite dehydrated as pp said forget about the food you need to concentrate on drinking and if your not keeping water down i would ring you gp hope your feeling better soon!

Pavlovthecat Tue 06-Nov-12 14:37:13

thanks all. I don't think i'm feverish. I feel a little hot, and shakey before I throw up and for a while after, but I don't think I am running a temperature. I can't find the thermometer though.

Pavlovthecat Tue 06-Nov-12 14:39:07

I have got a glass of luke warm water and going to try finishing it before I get the children. DD is at dancing til 4:30pm so DS is going to stay in afterschool club after preschool ends until 4:30pm, give me some time to try keeping this water down.

I shall ignore food then, even though I can feel myself wasting away! (I have already lost weight as tramadol has slowed my digestion down, and messed up my appetite as a result)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 06-Nov-12 14:40:08

Sounds to me like you are trying to force yourself to eat, but when having a bug, you should not really eat anything aside from maybe rice crackers and digestive biscuits. Anything else will just prolong the agony/vomiting.

Pavlovthecat Tue 06-Nov-12 14:50:37

can it be a bug even though the children and DH don't have it?

Just threw up the quarter of a glass of water I sipped. I do remember being told when I had hg by one gp that even if you throw up some of it, some will still be absorbed through the lining of the walls on the way down before it is vomitted back out. So, if I keep sipping, I will get some in even if I throw it up right?

I am going to avoid eating. But I am so hungry. my stomach is gurgling for food when it is empty, so I keep thinking, well now i have not been sick for a while I will try to eat something, as maybe it is hurting/gurgling because it needs food. but clearly not!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 07-Nov-12 11:07:49

How are you feeling today?
If not any better, maybe call your doctor for a phone consultation?
In case it is the meds suddenly causing havoc with your tummy?

Pavlovthecat Wed 07-Nov-12 11:11:53

Hey quint i feel shit as my back has gone properly now. and threw up my meds this morning (had not taken anything since monday morning). but, i have held down liquid through the night, after not holding anything down all evening (dh got me some lucozade and rice cakes).

and, a small amount of porridge has stayed down. maybe because i am keeping very. very. still. but either way, it is working for now. which is good because i really need to take some pain relief.

my wee is dark brown this morning though, bit concerning.

Pavlovthecat Wed 07-Nov-12 11:12:22

meant to say, calling gp for telephone appt at 11:30am.

SurreyMummy2 Wed 07-Nov-12 11:20:27

We have the same thing in our household. It's hideous and I expect your back has gone due to the motion of being sick and crouching down - mine is very sore too. Don't panic - maybe your doctor could give you something to stop you being sick and something to rehydrate you? Good luck and get well soon.

Pavlovthecat Wed 07-Nov-12 11:23:14

surry sorry to hear your house is down with this sickness too. it is definitely hideous. I feel like such a mess! and I really could do with a shower, but can't due to back pain! good point about gp giving me something to keep it all down. i forgot all about anti-emetics. i will ask for some when i speak on the phone to her.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 07-Nov-12 11:27:58

Anti emetics is a good point when your back is so sore.

We had this a few weeks ago, hideous. Me AND the boys.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Wed 07-Nov-12 13:34:27

You sound worryingly dehydrated, so hope you get to see a doctor. I had a desperately severe vomiting bug once, where even a sip of water was coming back up. I had a doctor come to the house and she gave me an injection that was a very strong anti-emetic. Meant I could finally drink some water and get some sleep. Sounds like you need something similar. Good luck!

Pavlovthecat Wed 07-Nov-12 14:22:02

spoke to gp, but luckily by this time I had held down some porridge and some bread/soup. I am sure porridge can come up again though eh? I have also held down one glass of water (small glass).

She asked me to monitor my wee - need to be going to the toilet 8 hourly at least. She was not really sure what it was, but said it could be medication related. She said it was good I was drinking again, but if I threw up again, give her a call. She is the duty doctor for ooh today so I can talk to her this evening if necessary.

I think I am over the worst of the vomitting/dehydration - but certainly was, as my skin is very powdery feeling, and eyes are black!

Pavlovthecat Wed 07-Nov-12 14:23:34

I should probably have called the gp yesterday to be honest though. And thank you for giving me some advice.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 07-Nov-12 14:41:39

Lets hope you are on the mend now. Good to know the doctor is just there, at the end of the line should you need her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now