Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis on the scalp

(10 Posts)
deXavia Tue 06-Nov-12 03:24:03

I'm going slowly insane with the itchy scratchy damn psoriasis all over my head. Only the second time it's come up but wondered if anyone had any wise tips or recommendations on how to stop it. Thanks so much

justbogoffnow Tue 06-Nov-12 03:26:46

Have you tried t gel shampoo and/or nizoral?

deXavia Tue 06-Nov-12 03:44:14

Yes and does nothing. Didn't really relieve it and obviously hasn't stopped it coming back.
the doctor gave me some lotion to put on it last time (sorry forgot name but it was a liquid steroid so can only use sparingly). And i have found some olive oil helps sooth it but not get rid of it (but for sheet vanity if like to avoid the resulting greasy look!)

sashh Tue 06-Nov-12 03:58:01

Alphosyl shampoo and betacap.

Longdistance Tue 06-Nov-12 05:01:15

I know the feeling. Mine flares up with stress, which I've been for the past month.
I've given up though, and just use ordinary shampoo as none work for me. I don't think it'll ever go away for me, as have had it since I was 13, so over 20 years.
Would love to hang around for some more ideas smile

civilfawlty Tue 06-Nov-12 05:05:34

Yeah. Exactly the same here. No advice but loads of empathy OP.

musicalendorphins Tue 06-Nov-12 05:21:16

I don't know if this will help Psoriasis, but last night I was insanely itchy and put half a cup of apple cider vinegar in a warm bath and soaked, even my scalp. Plus took an allergy pill (Reactine 20 mg). It helped a fair bit last night and today I feel fine.
Good luck, itching can drive you crazy!

deXavia Tue 06-Nov-12 05:39:51

Welcome to my club grin
Googling has suggested coconut or oregano oil so I'm going to hunt some down over the next couple of days and will report back. But in the meantime will try a soak with apple cider vinegar this evening as I think I have some at home.
I appreciate I'm going to smell like a salad bar but its just so damn distracting!

vvviola Tue 06-Nov-12 05:46:40

There's a Lush solid shampoo that helps me a little (eases the itch a bit & loosens some of the flakes) I can't remember the name, sorry - and the Lush Dream Cream is brilliant - especially on the bits I have on my shoulders & at my hairline behind my ears.

Mine is usually so bad I've worked my way through various steroid creams but had to stop when pregnant & breastfeeding - hence the Lush stuff.

Also good is manuka honey - I have a wonderful cream with manuka honey & bee propolis - but I suspect it's only available here in NZ.

(I'll look up the name later just in case, I'm stuck under an almost-sleeping baby right now!)

MissMogwi Tue 06-Nov-12 05:53:39

I started with this when I was 13 and nothing worked. The scaly patches would also form on my forehead and eyelids and were incredibly red and sore.

I saw a thread on here recommending the blue and orange L'Oreal shampoo which is anti dandruff.

The itching was gone from the first wash and my scalp was clear after about a week. No mean feat, as it was a sore, flaky mess. As my scalp cleared so did the patches on my face.

After over 20 years, the difference to my skin and more importantly, my confidence is amazing. I'd definitely give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now