Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cause for concern...?

(6 Posts)
misspollysdolly Mon 05-Nov-12 23:35:02

Is a thick, heavily blood-stained post-nasal drip cause for concern...?

The post-nasal drip is not new to me - i have asthma and associated chronic sinusitis - but the blood is - i have had this for about the last 48 hours. Been poorly with a really nasty sore throat - almost completely unable to swallow - since Wednesday last week. This has improved today - I can now swallow and it is markedly less painful, but I still have painful glands in my neck and ear discomfort when I swallow. My throat is red, tonsils are large, but less than last week and no longer coated in pus. So I've kind of assumed I'm recovering a bit, but the post-nasal drip grot all down the back of my throat is dark bloody red and very thick. Feel fairly poorly still. What should I do...??

MPD

misspollysdolly Tue 06-Nov-12 05:37:03

Bump

ripsishere Tue 06-Nov-12 06:03:34

Probably your adenoids. If I get a heavy head cold and lose my sense of taste, I give a really big proper snorty sniff and get a clot of thick, greeny yellowy bloody mucous.
My adenoids feel much better then.
I'd see a doctor though.

misspollysdolly Tue 06-Nov-12 22:18:30

Thank you. Somehow I hadn't thought about adenoids! This has continued today and at times the whole of my throat has been coated in thick black-looking bloody mucus. I feel quite rough again tonight. Throat is quite sore and my ears hurt sad Rubbish. Anyone else got any experience or wisdom...? Should I be worried about the blood that is presumably coming from my sinuses...? Incidentally, when I blow my nose there is nothing at all to blow out hmm MPD

ripsishere Wed 07-Nov-12 00:15:18

Go and see your GP.
DH had similar last week, doctor suspects a dust allergy <slattern> and gave DH some anti histamines and steroids and vitamin c and a mucous loosener.

misspollysdolly Wed 07-Nov-12 11:58:06

Severe pharyngitis = Ten days of antibiotics plus follow up appointment shock Turns out I was iller than I thought sad - thanks for the support and the poke to see the Dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now