Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B12 side effects???

(11 Posts)
lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 20:23:48

Has anyone had side effects from supplements of vitamin b12? My tests are rights at the bottom of the range but if I take a supplement (which all seem to be very high doses) I feel completely wired then can't sleep at night.

Someone suggested sub lingual b12 but I can't really see how that would make a difference? Just a bit concerned as really could do with getting my level up but can't seem to tolerate the stuff at all.

Nigglenaggle Mon 05-Nov-12 20:45:05

It shouldnt have any side effects as it is water soluble so you pee out what you dont need

SchrodingersUndeadMew Mon 05-Nov-12 20:48:45

I had the injections and I was so full of energy it was unreal, never cleaned so much in my life.

Have never got this from the tablets though as you don't absorb very much of it.

lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 21:19:57

Were you full of energy in a good way or wired? Could you sleep at night?

I know you're supposed to excrete what you don't need, but I've tried supplements several times, always with the same effect.

noddyholder Mon 05-Nov-12 21:21:20

I have the jabs and sometimes can't get to sleep the 1st night but thats it. You really need to try though as the long term effects can be serious.

SchrodingersUndeadMew Mon 05-Nov-12 21:25:07

Depends really. I had 1 injection every 2 days for 2 weeks or something, some days I just felt full of energy, others I would tidy and clean at night because I couldn't sleep.

If you're levels are really bad could you not ask for the injection and see if that's a possibility? At least then the wired feeling wouldn't be too prolonged.

Apparently Thatcher had b12 injections to help her keep her energy levels high, I have only really ever heard of this happening with the injections though.

SchrodingersUndeadMew Mon 05-Nov-12 21:26:28

And YY to what Noddy said, low b12 can lead to Pernicious Anaemia.

lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 21:32:57

So you reckon injections would hike up the levels but with only short term side effects?

It's weird, because most people say. B12 is important for good sleep.

lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 21:33:45

I heard about the thatcher connection, maybe that's why she only slept 4 hours a night....

lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 21:35:54

Btw folks I'm not severely deficient, just right at the bottom of the range, but as I don't eat meat or dairy I don't want it to drop further.

SchrodingersUndeadMew Mon 05-Nov-12 21:37:24

Well that's what has been reported, apparently she had taken it so she could survive on such little sleep.

My B12 levels were very low, I had the injections and the lowest they have been since is the low side of normal. Side effects lasted a week, maybe 2. That's better though than long term? If it's just tablets you are taking you will have to take it long term as apparently it's quite hard to build your b12 levels up using supplements as you pee most of it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now