Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu and Whooping Cough vaccines - do you have both at the same time?

(5 Posts)
EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 18:10:00

I'm booked in with the nurse tomorrow to have one or both of these (31 weeks pg) and I'm a bit worried about side effects and so on.

Can anyone tell me if they had both of these at once, and if it was Ok or made them unwell? I'm feeling rubbish already (SPD is pretty bad, as I slipped getting out of the shower the other day, and anaemic, and suspected DVT also last week!) so I don't want to be ill as well. I'm barely coping as it is.

I'm thinking of asking her just to do one of them but I don't know which.

Any thoughts appreciated x

kalidasa Mon 05-Nov-12 18:30:45

Yes I had them both together (but in opposite arms!) a couple of weeks ago at about 35 weeks pregnant. I have v. bad SPD (have been on crutches for a couple of months), still vomiting with hyperemesis even now and like you I'm also anaemic so I was worried that they would make me ill. But actually I didn't notice anything really. Admittedly I don't ever feel great because of the constant nausea but honestly it didn't seem to make me feel worse.

Our practice nurse is weirdly quite anti-vaccination so I had to listen to her go on about all the possible risks for a while, but then she agreed to give me both of them together. Hope that helps!

kalidasa Mon 05-Nov-12 18:32:25

Oh forgot to say, if you're only 31 weeks now and you want to space them out you could maybe have the flu jab this time and whooping cough in a week or so and there should still be plenty of time for the baby to get the whooping cough immunity. The flu jab is more for your benefit I think as flu is more dangerous in pregnant women. I was quite close to the end of the 'window' for the whooping cough so thought it was best to have both at once if poss.

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 18:33:24

Oh yes it does - thankyou Kali smile

Sorry you're still feeling rubbish, you were really lovely to me on the hyperemesis thread a few months ago. (I only popped in...thankfully mostly it went around 22 weeks, I never want to be pg again though!)

Sorry about the SPD too. I'm not using crutches but I wouldn't mind some smile I hope you get some let up when baby arrives xx

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 18:34:22

Oh brill about the window - I didn't know what it was. I'll go for the flu one tomorrow then.

Thankyou very much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now