Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump on episiotomy scar

(5 Posts)
Pastabee Mon 05-Nov-12 15:18:38

I have a painful lump on my year old episiotomy scar. It's about the size of a 5p piece. It's appeared in the past fortnight.

I have made a GP appointment but they can't see me until next week.

Has anyone else had this / have any idea what the problem might be?

sparklekitty Mon 05-Nov-12 19:42:56

Is it a recent episiotomy? I had a lump on mine quite early on, turned out to be a hematoma (sp?) and it was just reabsorbed after a week or so

cravingcake Mon 05-Nov-12 19:52:58

In a word, Yes.

I had a 4th degree tear, episiotomy (& forceps, shoulder dystocia) a year ago. I have had a heavy feeling around my scars & a skin tag on my perinium which has gotten a lot worse & painful over the last couple of months. I saw my gp last week & was instantly referred back to gynae consultant at hospital. Am waiting to see consultant sometime in next couple of weeks.

My gp also said i have a defect, which i've found out from fellow mumsnetters means that the skin has healed but connective tissue & muscles may not have.

Definitely keep your appointment with your gp, and push for further referral or second opinion if you dont get answers you are satisfied with.

Pastabee Mon 05-Nov-12 20:17:13

It's a year old sparklekitty.

Oh cravingcake I was hoping it would just go back down and disappear in style of ingrown hair or similar <head in sand> but I think you're right and there's something going on there. TBH it's given me trouble on and off all year. It can be fine for a month or two and then gets sore and lumpy.

It got infected after DD was born and i ended up at OOH. At my 6 week check I was seen by a male dr who basically gave the impression that I should expect it to be painful and to get on with it when I mentioned it was still sore but not excessively so.

I've got an appointment with a female dr next week. I've seen her before with DD and know she has children so I'm hoping for some sympathy. sad

It's a very neat scar that has almost disappeared apart from the last 2cm or so which was infected originally. That is the lumpy bit that looks ugly and hurts.

Sympathy to you. Yours sounds worse than mine. I don't have any heavy feeling and any pain and the lump is all concentrated in the last 2cm of the scar.

cravingcake Mon 05-Nov-12 21:14:40

It sounds worse than it is. 9 months of pregnancy & about the same after you can forget what 'normal' feels like.

If you feel in your intuition that there is something more then i would say there is something more. Thats what i went on and so far its proved right in everything.

I too saw a male dr (about 5 weeks post partum) who said the surgeons had done a good job and he'd seen much worse cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now