Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colon cancer? Scarring? Can you help with this?

(11 Posts)
plumedematante Sun 04-Nov-12 23:01:18

My mum had an MRI scan a fortnight ago as she had had pain in her coccyx. She had ovarian cancer 4 years ago and after chemo and a radical hysterectomy made a full recovery. It was caught early and had not spread, the chemo was merely a 'mopping up' exercise just in case. Blood tests every quarter and a hospital check up show no signs of a recurrence.

Anyway, this pain. The doctor was being cautious, hence the scan. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with her coccyx. The less good news is they can see 'something' in her colon. The doctor will arrange for a further scan < I assume a CT scan? > and he says it could be scarring. She had endemetriosis for years plus two old fashioned vertical C- Sections and when she had her hysterectomy she was told she had a lot of adhesions and scarring.

So... how likely is this to be scarring? INSIDE the colon? She has no other symptoms. She took part in a bowel cancer study last year - all clear. The regular blood tests haven't shown anything. No bleeding, no pain.

My dad is terminally ill with cancer. My mum had it 4 years ago. I cannot take much more of this really. Can anyone tell me something positive? I'd be grateful : )

The doctor seems in no hurry and didn't seem hugely concerned so this is going to be at least a fortnight for another scan and then a further two weeks for the results. at least. Aaagh

Thank you in advance

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 04-Nov-12 23:10:48

Oh, you poor thing. Look I'm no doc, so of course this is is not remotely a learned opinion.

I've had cancer, and a colon op, and a gynae op for endometriosis. I also have LOTS of surgical adhesions. It's my understanding that you can be a bit prone to adhesions, and that they can occur in the general area, not just the area that has been cut, so to speak. And they are painful, yes.

So in my un-medical opinion, maybe it could just be scarring?

I really hope that you get some good news re your mum (and other things!) soon, and I wish peace and happiness and lack of pain for your dad, and for you all.

plumedematante Sun 04-Nov-12 23:15:39

Thank you Hazel - and i hope you are well and truly on the mend now!

My dad is just fine : ) Driving and holidaying and all sorts but he will not recover. Quality of life - fine for now.

I just get so BORED and frustrated at all of this, I really do. Like living under a small black cloud. Or standing on a beach and you can see a tsunami in the distance. You know it's coming, you know it is going to hit you but you don't know when.

Just a fucker really.

Thank you for your words.

LivesInJeans Sun 04-Nov-12 23:21:17

VOMIT

Any radiologist will tell you that most imaging throws up some small query which then needs further investigation and causes worry for the patient. hence the above acronym. The drs are usually aware it's not serious but because it's not quite normal have to investigate.

This sounds like it doesn't fit any picture of either ovarian spread or colonic cancer. It really sounds like a case of VOMIT smile

I hope you can all relax until they confirm this

plumedematante Mon 05-Nov-12 15:09:25

I would be very happy with a diagnosis of VOMIT Jeans thats' for sure : )

Thank you for that

LivesInJeans Mon 05-Nov-12 16:25:07

I would worry if it was me (I'm human) BUT the rational side of me having worked in radiology for omg nearly 30 years...that can't be right...I'm a mere youngster a long time, says that they don't know what it is yet, but it has no characteristics of a nasty something. I really feel you will be reassured once you get the result

plumedematante Mon 05-Nov-12 17:05:35

My mum says that it has been described as a 'thickening' whatever that means.

Thanks for replying

LivesInJeans Mon 05-Nov-12 17:29:08

Could be inflammatory bowel disease or scarring. What they are doing is excluding cancer. Think of it like that. They are not suspicious it is - they've suggested it is scarring. They are excluding it Making 100% sure it's not something to worry about.

Don't google - all you do with google is lock onto bad news and stress out. The evidence suggests she was asymptomatic, had previously passed a screening test, has previous medical history to suggest scarring and the demeanour of the Drs was not alarming.

plumedematante Mon 05-Nov-12 17:33:24

I haven't really googled as see no benefit in it really. All just guess work isn't it? And yes, she has no symptoms and was unaware of any issues in this area...so hopefully that is a positive sign.

It's just another...thing. To wait for and cope with.

You've been very helpful

LivesInJeans Mon 05-Nov-12 17:55:40

I am waiting on a biopsy result myself. It was taken during a minor op and what they saw inside me looked very normal. I've googled the statistics comparing biopsy vs direct visualisation. Good correlation of results. So...normal.

I will still be glad when that letter drops through my letterbox confirming it. Waiting is just so very very hard.

My strategy is to decide it's normal and then keep busy. smile

shine0ncrazydiamond Mon 05-Nov-12 17:58:45

I wish you all the best with the result. And admire your calm facade! You're right though - always better to think with a sane brain fully engaged.

I'm not good at that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now