Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alcohol and health related anxiety - help?

(3 Posts)
BCBG Sun 04-Nov-12 19:55:18

I have suffered on and off with severe HA for decade, but for the last few years have been fairly relaxed. Yesterday though, I read a Liverpool consultant commenting that most people think that half a bottle of wine a night is OK, but "they are routinely taking 15 years off their lifespan". I love my wine, drink a couple of glasses most nights of the week, always have a night off, never ever get tipsy (hate the feeling). Now I am sick and panicking. If what he said is true, is there any point in stopping - i.e have I lost the 15 years already or can I claw any back? I used to freak so much about death and disease, and thought I was getting better; now I feel that I am doomed sad. Just wondered if anyone else had any advice?

WentworthMillerMad Sun 04-Nov-12 21:46:16

Please don't worry. I would say have 3 or 4 alcohol free days a week though and drink water and give your body a rest.
I would add you drink in a v sensible way, no binge drinking so please don't fret

lolalois Mon 05-Nov-12 20:35:27

I agree, you'll be fine. I work in the alcohol field so am very familiar with all the info and advice and you're drinking is not at a problematic level. If you really want reassurance you could ask your GP for a liver function test to check its all working fine. I drink about the same as you and had a test recently (for other reasons) which was completely fine.

Do be honest with yourself though, look at the size of your wine glasses and measure your units if you can. Some people fit a whole bottle in 2 glasses, which isn't so healthy. But a small glass or two a day won't be much of a problem.

I get health anxiety sometimes too, I know it's awful and hard to let go of worries, but honestly, it doesn't sound like your drinking is problematic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now