Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sprained ankle, me again

(15 Posts)
minxthemanx Sun 04-Nov-12 15:19:40

Hi I posted on here last week, turned out after x ray to be sprained ankle after nasty twist. No break or fracture. Just after your expert advice again, medical MNers - a week on, I'm in more discomfort today than was after doing it. The ankle is still a bit swollen and puffy, and feels very stiff. I can move it ok, tho it hurts to one side, but there's a lot of 'clicking' in the ankle when I move it. My whole leg aches, and there's also 'clicking' in the back of the knee joint. Does this sound like a tendon problem, or any other ideas?

i've had no treatment on the ankle, they didn;t strap it, and other than telling me not to go running for a little while, didn't tell me to stay off it. So, being half term, I have been out and about with the kids, going for walks (not very long ones).

I'm sitting with my leg up this afternoon, as get the feeling it needs resting. Anyone got any other advice - should I strap it, rest it, exercise it?

minxthemanx Sun 04-Nov-12 20:15:53

Bumping cos whole leg aches now, right up into groin/outer hip. Was hoping to get to Pilates tomorrow but ankle and leg hurting. Surely there aren't any tendons that long/!

QueenOfCats Sun 04-Nov-12 20:19:12

I had a bad fall and twisted my ankle - it took 3 X-rays to show a fracture!

Is it bruised? Has the swelling increased? If so I would pop up to a and e and get them to X-ray again.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:20

It's the inflammation. Sounds normal to me after a bad sprain. Are you taking anti inflammatories and icing regularly?

minxthemanx Sun 04-Nov-12 20:29:35

It's a bit puffy over the top of the outer ankle bone, and a little bruised. I've got full movement in toes and foot, tho, and ankle rotates ok if a bit sore, so not convinced another x ray will show anything else. I haven't used ice since the day after I fell- hasn't been too bad, but seems to be really flaring up today. Maybe over done it. I'll pop some nurofen and get the peas........ shame about Pilates, haven;t done any exercise for ages. sad

IWouldLoveToStandAsAnIndie Sun 04-Nov-12 20:30:17

Go back, or elsewhere for a second opinion. You may not have a break but a tear to some of the ligaments which won't show up on X-ray but are more easily diagnosed after the initial swelling has decreased. Your hip probably hurts due to the way you are mobilising.
Are you taking regular analgesia?
Just because it isn't broken doesn't mean you can carry on as normal!
A bad sprain can take longer than a simple break to heal.
Sprains can take from 2 weeks onwards to heal depending on their severity .
You need to continue the rest,ice,gentle mobilisation. It won't get get better overnight!(sorry)
And (as a runner )you shouldn't run until its completely better!

IWouldLoveToStandAsAnIndie Sun 04-Nov-12 20:32:19

Sounds like your anterior talofibular ligament ?

minxthemanx Sun 04-Nov-12 20:38:22

Thanks ladies. Iwouldloveto...... no idea if it's that ligament, just know it hurts from top of foot upwards to groin/outer hip! Achey and making me irritable, (doesn't take much wink). The acute pain is inside ankle joint on the top of the foot, if you get me. I'll be better when I've had an ibuprofen and glass of rose.

IWouldLoveToStandAsAnIndie Sun 04-Nov-12 20:44:02

Am sure you have rested it...but when advised to rest, it also means gentle movement to keep it supple and ensure the muscles/ligaments don't tighten as they heal. Def take the ibuprofen rose and be patient!

minxthemanx Sun 04-Nov-12 20:51:39

Well i probably haven't rested it enough, wherein lies the problem I suspect. Half term, so out and about with the kids, walks on the seafront etc, bonfire night standing around etc.........maybe it's nature's way of telling me to stop being an arse.

IWouldLoveToStandAsAnIndie Sun 04-Nov-12 20:59:01

Half term is officially not helpful to healing limbs!!! Rest up once they are back at school, continue icing, analgesia, gentle mobilsation and google proprioception for getting going again.

Baffledandbewildered Sun 04-Nov-12 21:29:21

I sprained my ankle 12 weeks ago and its still recovering !! The bruising is still noticeable but at least its now not hurting so much. I found wearing sturdy boots helps. Hope you feel better soon

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 05-Nov-12 09:17:48

You can have symptoms of pain and swelling for up to a year after even a moderate sprain. It's a long haul.
Agree with IWouldLoveToStandAsAnIndie, proprioreception exercises will help greatly and will go some way to prevent further sprains.
You can also download great clips on you tube to show you how to tape the sprain, else see a Physio or a Musculo Skeletal Podiatrist for strapping.

minxthemanx Mon 05-Nov-12 09:36:35

Thanks for your help. Swelling down a lot this morning and not as achey, surprise surprise, after being 'rested' all night! Will try to stay off it when possible today, but working Tue Wed Fri, where staying off it won't be possible. I'll check out those exercises. Many thanks.

minxthemanx Mon 12-Nov-12 18:27:11

Hmm, two weeks on and still swelling over the top of the ankle. Whole leg aches like billy o. After Friday at work, on my feet most of the day, whole foot was very swollen in the evening with sausage like toes sticking out. Tried to see GP today as day off, but no appointments. Next day off is Thursday, am thinking that if there's still swelling and discomfort then I'll insist on GP apt. Sheesh - and the A&E doctor called it a mild sprain, I'd hate to have a bad one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now