Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tumour in DB's colon, doc says not piles or polyps...

(13 Posts)
gnocci Sat 03-Nov-12 20:21:06

It can only be one thing can't it????

He has had bleeding for about 6 years. He is 26. Visited doc when it first started but doc didnt examine him and just told him it was "probably an infection". Maybe due to his age?

Anyway it has got worse and worse to the point that the whole toilet bowl is full of blood and "mucus" and "clots" (his description). He went to docs again last week and they had a look and saw "something that should definitely not be there". Apparently she was able to rule out piles or polyps.

He has been booked in for blood tests next week (any idea what these might be for?). Something to do with checking for protein and dead cells????

He has been booked in for a colonoscopy the week after (urgent referral).

They think it might be cancer dont they?

He is only 26.

gnocci Sat 03-Nov-12 20:22:00

In the thread title I use the word tumour. I think the doc actually used the word "growth". Just wanted to clarify that.

LivesInJeans Sat 03-Nov-12 20:22:40

Ulcerative colitis produces mucus and blood

LivesInJeans Sat 03-Nov-12 20:23:21

So no.... it doesn't mean it can only be cancer

rubyslippers Sat 03-Nov-12 20:26:11

I have ulcerative colitis

I get blood and mucous

There are physically ulcers on the bowel with this condition so no, it doesn't necessarily mean cancer

It is worrying nevertheless

gnocci Sat 03-Nov-12 20:30:44

Thanks for your replies.

Those with colitis - do you get pain or any other symptoms?

He says he has no pain at all.

digerd Sat 03-Nov-12 20:31:35

If they thought it was cancer a biopsy is usually taken first, not a blood test. But have no knowledge of colon cancer. Very unlikely at 26.

rubyslippers Sat 03-Nov-12 20:32:32

Yes I do get pain on occasion

Plus bloating

My symptoms are very well controlled at the moment with drugs

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 20:34:47

Is there any family history of colon cancer? It is very young to have if that's what it is.

gnocci Sat 03-Nov-12 20:36:07

No family history.

The biopsy was the soonest appt they could get with an urgent referall. I think they just happened to be able to get bloods in first.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 20:41:04

Well it seems there are a few other things it might be but I totally understand your worry. It's a case of waiting and trying not to worry. And please stay away from Google.

Do you live close to DB?

Knittingnovice Sat 03-Nov-12 20:46:22

Have pm'd you

gnocci Sat 03-Nov-12 20:54:03

Have replied knitting x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now