Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones- please please help if you know a bit about this subject.

(9 Posts)
comforablyum Sat 03-Nov-12 12:39:46

Back in March, I had on/off excruciating pain (about once a week) which culminated with me being admitted to A and E mid-May. Apparently I have a gallstone and was referred to a surgeon. Since then, I have stuck to a low-fat diet and have not needed to recourse to painkillers. A letter arrived today with appt. in next week.
What next?

missymoomoomee Sat 03-Nov-12 12:50:49

Have you had a scan or a blood test to confirm them? They gave me a scan, then I got a letter I had to go in for a blood test and quick check up then got an appointment to take my gall bladder out a couple of weeks later. Had the op (keyhole surgery) which left a 1 inch scar just underneath my breasts, a 1cm scar just under where my gallbladder was and a small scar in my belly button. I was out the hopspital the next day and felt fine, I've had no problems since apart from the slight bit of pain when I have eaten far too much crap. My advice to you is DON'T GOOGLE IT I was convinced I was going to die from what I read online.

comforablyum Sat 03-Nov-12 12:53:57

Yes. I definitely have a gallstone.

missymoomoomee Sat 03-Nov-12 13:01:14

Your appt will either be for a scan to see how many you have (I had loads) or for your pre op check up if it was already confirmed by a scan.

ceebeegeebies Sat 03-Nov-12 13:03:03

I had my gallbladder removed about 2 years ago. It was done via keyhole surgery and was very straightforward. Scars are as described by Missy. Recovery was about 1 week - I had a sick note for 2 weeks off work but actually could have gone back after a week I think. I have had 2 CS's and the pain after the operation is nowhere near comparable to that.

Have had no issues at all since - no pain or any other complications (other than weight gain as I can now eat what I want sad)

If you need to know anything more specific, just let me know.

SaraBellumHertz Sat 03-Nov-12 13:07:03

I had my gallbladder removed a few weeks back - had been suffering intermittent pain for years but never properly diagnosed in UK. After a particularly horrific attack I went to the hospital where I now live and got an almost immediate appointment to have gall bladder removed.

Wish Id bad it done years ago - good luck

comforablyum Sat 03-Nov-12 14:11:57

Thanks for all your stories. If anybody could go into a bit more detail as regards what happens when you have the first appt with surgeon, I'd be grateful.

missymoomoomee Sat 03-Nov-12 14:23:50

Mine was sitting getting blood taken, getting my weight and height checked a few general questions about my health and a quick talk about the procedure.

SaraBellumHertz Sat 03-Nov-12 15:58:49

Im not sure how much this will help because I'm not in UK but my apointment schedule went like this: saw GP, referred to Gastroentologist, referred to radiologist for scan, referred to general surgeon. This all happened on same day.

The general surgeon didn't really give me a choice. Of course he explained that having the surgery was ultimately my decision but apart from explaining the general risk of receiving an anesthetic and a specific complication with removal which was very rare he made it quite clear that the benefits outweighed the risk and that if I left it longer I risked an infection (in fact when the removed the gallbladder he found evidence of infection).

He drew me a diagram of what would be done internally and also showed where the incisions on my abdomen would be made.

The following day I saw the anesthetist who explained their role and that was it. All very straight forward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now