Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Probable burst eardrum, keep giving ear drops?

(19 Posts)
l4k Thu 01-Nov-12 22:15:29

Ok, so DS is 5, we are in Caribbean. He has seen a doctor twice at great expense and diagnosed with ear infection. First given ciprodex (antibiotic and steroid) drops, then when worse, oral antibiotic
I'm pretty sure his eardrum has burst, gunky, dark bloody discharge and lessening pain. Home on Monday. Does he need to see a doc again and can I still give ear drops as well as oral anti bs.
Tia.
Ps. It's been horrible, my poor little boy.

l4k Fri 02-Nov-12 01:46:07

Please advise if you have any experience. I would like to take him back to doctor in the morning but dh says nothing can be done so wait till we get home. What do you think?

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 01:48:27

Nooo don't put anything in if u suspect its burst! This can cause more problems, make him lie with the infected ear down and put a towel or tissue under it and let it drain.

NellyJob Fri 02-Nov-12 01:50:38

agree with mrs rhett - just painkillers, nothing in the ear.

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 01:54:47

Sorry, posted really quickly, poor thing, I've suffered with burst ear drums lots of times, it really is horrible sad it does sound like its burst and should usually get better of its own accord now, the lessening pain is an indicator that the infection is draining out smile
Don't let him get it wet and don't put anything in it, a clean wad of cotton wool can be put/taped on if you think it may get wet or if you are outside in wind, you really don't want to get the exposed ear dirty.
If hes in no more pain I wouldn't think he needs to see doc again but if you are worried then take him back.
The descent in a plane really hurts my ears because of burst drums so you may want to put a (clean) ear plug in his ear for the descent on the way home smile

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 01:58:09

Also, mine seemed to heal pretty quickly once they had burst and the pain totally went so if he's still in pain I would take him back, I hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday.

l4k Fri 02-Nov-12 03:02:43

Thank you. He still can't lay on it, but he his loads better. I think I'll take him back tomorrow if I can. I can't stand the thought that I haven't done everything to make it better. We had him crying and writhing in pain all night for 4 days before it burst.
Dh will say its a waste of money of course.

NellyJob Fri 02-Nov-12 03:11:45

poor kid - once the eardrum is burst tho' there's not a lot more to be done except cotton wool and painkillers so perhaps DH is right although he does sound a bit...tight. As MrsRhett said, the bursting is a relief and he will feel so much better. Don't be too hard on yourself, you did what you could.

MrsGrieves Fri 02-Nov-12 03:20:13

Hmm I'm not sure about giving ear drops, I have had ear drops which made things much much worse, on the other hand I have had ones which cured things within days, depends which type really.

SofiaAmes Fri 02-Nov-12 04:26:07

My ds had burst ear drum multiple times over the years. If you started the oral antibiotics, please finish the course as it's important for not developing antibiotic resistant bacteria. And give him the painkillers (ibuprofen works very well) for ear infections. He will be fine. And the good news is that once the eardrum bursts, it stops hurting. My ds's ears healed right up afterwards every time and has had no lasting effect on his hearing.

l4k Fri 02-Nov-12 12:49:17

So no need to continue the ear drops then? He will finish course of oral anti bs today. He is much happier and he could lay on his bad ear last night do that's progress. I've never given a child (and he's the youngest of four) so much painkilling medication as the last 5 days !!!!
Thank you all.

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 16:52:17

Definitely no ear drops! Nothing should be put in the ear once its burst. This is very important please don't do it.

How is he now?

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 16:55:40

He really should try to tilt his head (I know this is hard for a 5 yo, I just mean if possible) because the infection needs to drain out x

scepticalexpat Fri 02-Nov-12 17:03:45

We were prescribed ear drops for my daughter's ear AFTER her eardrum burst. Same kind. So it is presumably correct to keep using them, but if I were you I'd go back to the doctor.

MrsRhettButler Fri 02-Nov-12 17:09:44

Perhaps go back to doc then, seems to be conflicting advice from us grin

I definitely wouldn't call it a waste of money

moleskin Fri 02-Nov-12 20:38:38

Not sure you can fly if ear drum burst??? My dd1 used to have burst ear drums frequently it happened at start of our hol abroad once and we had to get the all clear from doc to fly home. Worth checking

OneWaySystemBlues Sat 03-Nov-12 00:12:15

I think you'll be OK to fly. Eardrums that are burst hurt less when flying than when intact - the pressure that can build up because of infection that would get worse in fight is relieved by the hole. My daughter has a permanent hole in one eardrum because of recurrent ear infections and burst ear drums as a baby and toddler. That ear never hurts flying. Link here: www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2026.aspx?CategoryID=70&SubCategoryID=174

l4k Sat 03-Nov-12 22:33:14

Thanks to everyone. Spoke to doctor, he said yes to flying and stop eardrops Will worry till flight is out the way but DS is happy and not in pain anymore. Thanks again.

MrsRhettButler Sun 04-Nov-12 18:10:32

So glad to hear he is not in pain any more smile what a shame this happened on your holiday though sad have a safe journey home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now