Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wise Women of Munsnet-IUD Bleeding

(11 Posts)
PrincessSymbian Thu 01-Nov-12 22:14:38

Had an IUD fitted two days ago, as a consequence I have been having the occasional bloody slime(tmi!).
But this evening I have had rather vigorous sex and now I am bleeding bright red fresh blood and there has been quite a quantity.
Someone please tell me this is normal and to be expected!

ecuse Thu 01-Nov-12 22:17:47

I bled on and off for 9 days or so IIRC, more so after sex, if that helps?

PrincessSymbian Fri 02-Nov-12 00:09:43

I don't know, I have had horrendously light periods for years so wandering if this is just being unused to the quantiy.
A super tampon is lasting about forty minutes.

PositiveAttitude Fri 02-Nov-12 00:28:32

Don' t use a tampon. You shouldn't wear them for the first month, I thought! I bled for the first 8 weeks continually, but yes more so after sex.

PrincessSymbian Fri 02-Nov-12 00:30:42

No mention of that anywhere and don't really have a great deal of choice at the moment.
I'm guessing I am ok, just in for a long and messy night.

PrincessSymbian Fri 02-Nov-12 01:03:48

Feel like I am in a fucking abattoir!

PrincessSymbian Fri 02-Nov-12 14:49:17

Update: so at around two in the morning started to feel a bit tingly and faint, so with my bed partner got a cab to the nearest a and e. I was bleeding to the point that it went through onto the seat in the cab, after the deliberation it took him to program his gps to the nearest a and e (just around the corner practically), I can't say I felt too awful about it.
Told the receptionist the problem, she said the triage nurse would see me asap.
A couple of minutes wait and there was blood on the seat when I stood up.
I went through to the triage nurse and asked if she had anything to sit on. She gave mr an inco pad and did my blood pressure, then called A through with my stuff.
Literally wheeled me in a wheel chair the length of a short corridor. When we got to the cubicle, they got me undressed, two nurses descended upon me and started fitting lines, while they were doing thus, one of them was telling me off for waiting so long to come in and asking why I had not phoned for an ambulance.
They got the lead doctor to see me asap. He did an ultrasound but could not find the top of my uterus to get a good fix on the position if the coil.
They paged the in call gyne doctor, who came pretty much straight away. She did an internal which included pulling about fix or six large clots from inside me.
Having calmed the bleeding she left me to be observed, on a saline drip for what was meant to be half an hour.
The bleeding backed off for forty minutes or so, then came back but with cramps this time.
She finally came back two hours later, pulled another bunch if clots from me and managed to establish that the IUD was still in place.
So the next step was to get me under a ga to get a proper look. She suspected a high up tear and she was right, but not before I had been put under a ga and had to have three pints of the hospitals finest!
I reckon the vigorous sex caused one of the strings to lacerate my vaginal wall, as they start off quite tough and soften over time. They are made of the same stuff as fishing line!
Anyway the moral of this tale is: if you are passing huge clots of blood, go see a doctor!

PrincessSymbian Fri 02-Nov-12 16:24:00

Oh and would just like to add that the nurses and doctors who helped me were all fabulous and made me so so thankful for the NHS.

PositiveAttitude Sat 03-Nov-12 02:12:10

Oh no Princess, sorry to hear all that. Hope you are feeling netter now and all will be normal soon.

orangeflutie Sat 03-Nov-12 09:13:28

Poor you sad that sounds horrendous. Do you think you'll keep the coil in after all that? Glad you were well looked after at the hospital and hope you feel better soon x

PrincessSymbian Sat 03-Nov-12 09:16:28

I'm debating it at the moment. The strings are meant to soften over time but I am not sure I trust it at all now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now