Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm so, so worried and upset about my hair

(8 Posts)
ChicMama25 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:18:06

I know it sounds vain but I've always had really thick hair and the last year (since I've started FT work - admittedly v demanding job) it has been falling out like crazy first thinning at the temples only but now this has spread down to my ears so if I wear my hair up at all you can see my scalp and it is obvious. I used to get away with wearing a low ponytail and cover the bad bits with the hair from the top but even that no longer works. I'm scared at how fast it has got worse. Could it be simply vitamin deficiency lack of sleep stress or?? I take multivitamins and try to get at least 7h sleep but I'm only 26 and so upset

KnickersOnOnesHead Thu 01-Nov-12 20:20:28

Will watch with interest. My hair comes out in clumps every time I wash it/brush it but never seems any thinner. Thought it may just be because it needed a cut but it's still dropping out.

drcrab Thu 01-Nov-12 20:21:05

I think you need to go to the gp. Have you had change in diet? Are you eating well? Change shampoo? Recently pregnant or given birth? I lost hair after having kids but that's pretty normal. Although having said that it did take 2 years to be 'normal' again!

I would go to the dr ASAP.

Fairylea Thu 01-Nov-12 20:23:12

Mine is exactly the same.

I do have underactive thyroid though and it can be a symptom of it so do go and get checked for that. It can be treated with medication.

Mine is much worse since having my ds 5 months ago from the front I feel I look bald if I pull my hair back and I've actually looked at wigs. It's horrible sad

ChicMama25 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:25:52

DD is 7 so no and don't think I am pregnant! After I had her I did lose more hair but the stuff left didn't diminish if you know what I mean then it stopped falling out after a few months. This is serious amounts of hair in the shower every time and comes out in my hands when I wash it. Think my OH gets irritated with me cos he can't help. Thought i was being silly but will make doc appt I think.... I want my old hair back sad

ChicMama25 Fri 02-Nov-12 11:55:28

I googled under active thyroid... Well I have joint pain especially in my arms which is a symptom as well as the hair loss. Def going to the doc. Thanks ladies x

duende Fri 02-Nov-12 23:32:38

Second underactive thyroid and iron deficiency/ low ferritin levels.

oxfordgirl Sun 04-Nov-12 18:59:11

I would recommend you see your GP, ask to be referred to a dermatologist, they can determine what is causing your hair loss and do a scalp biopsy if necessary. You may have female pattern hair loss or you could have a medical condition associated with hair loss such as lupus. Your GP needs to help you and the best way forward is to see a dermatologist, insist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now