Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slow recovery after D&V - is this normal?

(6 Posts)
JudithRestInPeace Thu 01-Nov-12 13:34:15

On Sunday night, DS (4yo) and I were both ill - D&V. Neither of us have been sick since Monday morning. He was a bit off-colour on Monday but from Tuesday onwards has been back to his energetic, enthusiastic self.

I, on the other hand, still feel awful. I still feel nauseous - last night this was so bad, I thought I was going to be sick again, but I wasn't. I'm thinking maybe I tried to do too much yesterday, so have packed the kids off to grandparents today and am trying to rest. I've tried to eat a bit more, but I'm not really hungry. DH and DD, as yet anyway, unaffected.

Is this normal? I've never felt so bad 3-4 days after the event. Does it sound more like food poisioning or a bug? How can I feel better?!

Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

JudithRestInPeace Thu 01-Nov-12 14:02:25

Bump. Advice, anybody? Please?!

4nomore Thu 01-Nov-12 17:24:22

Different people shake these bugs off differently. I find that often with small kids they get it worse at the peak but then shake it quicker. I've two friends (both healthy adults) who hadthe same D&V thing the other week and it took literally twice as long for one to shift it - just one of those things

JudithRestInPeace Thu 01-Nov-12 17:30:29

Thank you for that. I think that DS did have a worse night to start with, actually, so that would fit here.

Is there any way of ever knowing whether it was food or a bug? I suppose it doesn't matter.

I just want to feel better now sad

4nomore Thu 01-Nov-12 17:36:23

There certainly seems to be a lot of bugs around at the moment so that's what I'd tend to suspect. If you and your DS ate the same things over the weekend then it's hard to be sure but especially as he seems to have recovered so well (and food poisoning is often nasty) then yeah, I'd say bug. Just try to eat "light" foods, little and often, and keep your fluids up and I'm sure you'll bounce back smile

JudithRestInPeace Thu 01-Nov-12 17:43:54

Thanks again. Am feeling a bit sorry for myself today so it's good just to have a kind and sensible response!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now