Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

blepharitis

(7 Posts)
carmen66 Thu 01-Nov-12 10:02:11

Hi, I have been diagnosed with blepharitis in both my eyes more so in my left, it tends to flair up every few months.. It started again yesterday but for the first time I have a tender sore pain in my left temple as well is this normal?
I have put a warm compress on my eye & bathed with baby shampoo but nothing is easing it this time. I ma going to the chemist for drops but I'm just wondering is a painful temple is associated with the condition smile

digerd Thu 01-Nov-12 17:29:29

I too have blepharitis and was told mine is due to sticky tears - too much oil and not enough water. I have had it since 1998, but have not noticed a pain in my temples, only recently and assumed too much Mumsnetting !!!
But as pain is on the side of your worst eye, I assume that is a tenderness, from too much PC work, perhaps?
Have you been advised of a daily treatment regime?

tethersend Thu 01-Nov-12 17:38:02

At the risk of sounding like a twat, do you wear eye make up?

I ask because I suffered with blepharitis for years before changing my make up- once I did, it cleared up virtually overnight.

I had the temple pain once or twice too.

carmen66 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:30:48

I wore eye makeup yesterday tethersend but I felt the stingy symptoms before hand. I don't wear eye makeup every day.. My mascara is a few months old maybe that aggravated it. I took 2 Nurofen this morning & that eased it but now the pain is back, I've never had temple pain with Blepharitis before, it's always my left eye... I was diagnosed a year ago Digerd & the Dr at the eye hospital just handed me a leaflet on how to treat it he also said I have it in both eyes but I've never had any problem with my right one..

digerd Thu 01-Nov-12 19:16:39

iMy leaflet said I had to use boiled water with bicarbonate of soda dissolved in it, and soak a cloth in it and massage my eye lids, with the water as hot as possible, to reduce the amount of oil in the tears. Then I had to use cotton buds soaked in that mixture and clean both upper and lower lashes as I had hardened crystals formed stuck to the lashes, which fell into my eyes. Several times a day. Is that what your leaflet said?

carmen66 Fri 02-Nov-12 06:57:24

The leaflet said to bathe the eye in warm water with a tiny amount of baby shampoo & gently massage the lid. To be honest I only do it when it flairs up... I always use Dove sensitive on my face every morning. I had an early night last night was in bed after Hunted I also took 2 Nurofens as you know the soreness can get pretty bad my eye look's ok to me no discharge or watering but my husband said that the eyelid look's puffy.. I still had the temple pain when I woke up this morning but that seem's to have eased off.. I went to Boots yesterday to get the eye drops that the eye hospital gave me for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of them the guy behind the counter was useless & it was so busy that I walked out as I was feeling like crap..
Does your eyes tend to clear up for ages then flair up? I don't think that wearing mascara in the week helped me , it seemed to have made it worse ..

digerd Fri 02-Nov-12 16:03:49

OP
Yours is different from mine, as also called Dry Eye, not that I feel they are dry, as blink a lot. Also I get no pain, just blurry eyes , especially in the mornings when the excess oil has accumulated during the night sleeping. I would advise you to get another opinion on your eye problem, as mine is permanent .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now