Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blind in one eye

(15 Posts)
bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 09:02:25

I had an accident just under a month ago, something penetrated through my eye, suffered a ruptured globe (eyeball).Have had a couple of operations so far but eye too badly damaged to save so am now blind in one eye. When everything settles down I will be fitted with a prosthetic which I am told are so realistic even medical students are fooled by them !Am told that driving/ work won't be an issue. Just wondered if anyone else been through similar and if so, how they found it adapting. DVLA said that as my sight is fine in other eye that I can drive but haven't plucked up courage yet ! It's just taking a bit of getting used to. Anyway, just thought it would be good to speak to anyone who is in same boat, thanks.

FavadiCacao Thu 01-Nov-12 10:55:55

I'm truly sorry to hear about your accident, it sounds horrible.
I have no personal experience but dad had an accident a few months ago which left him blind in one eye. I don't think he has fully recovered from the shock of loosing his eye so suddenly but he is physically doing well. He still finds strange to be 'feeling' rather than seeing someone coming from behind on his blind side. He's able to drive but needs to turn his head more often to overcome the smaller field of vision; adjusting the wing mirror didn't help much but found he needed to adjust the centre mirror. Is there anyone who could come in the car with you to reassure you that you're seeing everything (maybe 1 driving lesson)?

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 11:11:59

The one off driving lesson sounds like a great idea, thanks for that tip ! Best of luck to your Dad

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 11:13:50

Don't suppose you know if your Dads car insurance premium was effected ? Thanks again

FavadiCacao Thu 01-Nov-12 11:38:42

Dad lives in a different country and he was given a medical document to certify he was able to drive, he has not mentioned anything about insurance but I'll ask him. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

knittedslippersx3 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:42:46

I am blind in one eye. I always have been so don't know any different. I drive and don't have any problems.

uggmum Thu 01-Nov-12 11:45:53

Really sorry about your injury. Although I don't have personal experience of this. One of my good friends has a prosthetic eye (fitted very recently).

It is amazing. You really can't tell the difference between the two. The colour match is perfect. My friend doesn't drive but she is back at work and coping well.

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 11:54:45

Thanks for your messages, don't worry about bothering your Dad Favadi, I'll call my insurance company. Uggmum...that's good to hear about your friends eye looking real...I'm looking forward to things settling down after my last op so I can get prosthesis sorted. Slippers...I suppose if you haven't known any different it doesn't affect things too much (not that I'd know), think cause I have had perfect vision in both eyes for 36 years, my brain is still getting used to it ( mind you, it takes my particular brain a bit longer than most with most things !) thanks for your comments xx

DaddyPigsSecretAdmirer Thu 01-Nov-12 12:09:17

I've been blind in one eye since birth, so I don't know any difference either but I do know I sometimes have slight problems judging distances-nothing major but I used to bump into doorways a lot as a child for example, so that might be something to just be aware of. You'll adjust though in time I'm sure. I'm really sorry to hear about your accident-it's bound to be raw as it was so recent but I hope you are ok and that everything goes well with the prosthetic. Good luck!

CMOTDibbler Thu 01-Nov-12 12:17:06

My dad lost the sight in one eye suddenly, and his insurance was not affected.
I think a one off driving lesson/assessment would be a great idea, just to build your confidence.

lyndie Thu 01-Nov-12 12:19:55

If you're in Scotland there is a lovely charity I can direct you to who offers advice to those who have lost an eye. They would know about all these issues. Hope you're doing ok.

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 12:24:59

Lyndie, I'm just outside London, under Moorfields,next appointment on Monday, will ask them to point me in direction of advice but thank you x
Thanks Daddypig and MOT x

whysorude Thu 01-Nov-12 12:27:23

Hi bunniesmum, I lost the central vision in my right eye 11 years ago. As this affected my depth perception I found it very difficult to walk up/down stairs, pick up objects etc. and found my balance unsettled. But within a couple of months I found that my brain had adjusted and compensated to the loss of vision and I even began driving again.
I have to say that it took longer for me to adjust emotionally, especially as there was a possibility my vision degrading further and even effecting the other "good" eye.

How are you coping with it all?

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 12:38:07

I'm quite positive, just feel bad for my parents who worry a lot about things, think its effected them more than me....I keep telling them to pull themselves together but they quite rightly say..."how would you feel if it was one of your children" ( When I fell, they thought I might have had a cerebal haemorrage too which made things a bit more worrying).I can't believe how it seems to effect others when you've had a bad accident, it's really touching how lovely so many people, even ones I don't know have been. I'm very lucky to have a lot of supportive friends and family. I'm glad you say that after a couple of months your brain adjusted, feel a bit clumsy at mo ! They have warned me about a condition where the other eye packs up after a traumatic injury to one eye, sympathetic opthalmica, it's rare but they are keeping a close eye ( so to speak !)

bunniesmum Thu 01-Nov-12 12:43:57

Oh my god ! Just seen the time....I booked my youngest into a sports camp today so I could catch up with the housework, I'm getting to be a MN addict since I've been on sick leave ! Better get on with it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now