Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any instant fixes for premenstrual rage?

(23 Posts)
poachedeggs Thu 01-Nov-12 07:26:27

Just realised it must be that time because I almost lost the plot completely with DD asking me to wipe her bum twice hmm

DH has just lost his mum so I'd really prefer not to be a ranting yelling tantrum-throwing loon for the next week usually I'm cool with it. Any tips for instant relief? Going to run or go out biking later.

digerd Thu 01-Nov-12 15:52:28

I found the contraceptive pill got rid of mine. But if you don't want/can't, then exercise is the next best thing.

Eglantyne Thu 01-Nov-12 16:00:07

Watching with interest, as have just realised that, actually it is me and not everyone else with the problem sad

poachedeggs Thu 01-Nov-12 17:10:04

I'm starting to think I need to see the doc actually. I don't fancy the pill (kills any desire to actually have sex hmm and I have a high BMI) but this is the pits sad

topsi Thu 01-Nov-12 18:16:13

I honestly believe that good nutrition helps alot. A high strength vitamin complex, omega oils, star flower etc

Littlemisspoorly Thu 01-Nov-12 18:31:30

Good nutrition and a bit of complex carbs when you're feeling tired or tetchy. About 5 almonds?

mathanxiety Thu 01-Nov-12 18:36:19

If you are in any way regular and can anticipate the Rage, take Vitamin B6 beginning about ten days before your period, as well as increasing your intake of calcium, magnesium, omega3 fatty acids, and whole grain carbs.

Sources for all these are:
Fresh greens
Sesame seeds
Tofu
Oily fish (esp sardines)
Dried figs
Muesli (Alpen etc)

Or you could try supplements that supply all of those nutrients.

Sometimes being conscious of what day of the month it is can take the edge off things, and keeping track of your nutrition as your cycle progresses can help you stay on top of this aspect of it as well as giving you the best nutrition you can get.

mathanxiety Thu 01-Nov-12 18:37:22

Forgot dairy foods from my list, sorry. Yogurt is nice.

digerd Thu 01-Nov-12 19:33:23

OP. Yes, must admit my Libido was reduced after the initial good side effects wore off, but did return somewhat later. It was a long time ago. But the pros for me outweighed the cons. No more heavy periods either or cramps, which were worse and lasted longer then PMT

elfycat Thu 01-Nov-12 19:39:45

Complementary therapy wise - rescue remedy? The cherry plum in it is for explosive pressure and feeling like you're about to lose it.

mercibucket Thu 01-Nov-12 19:47:29

Thyroid test, esp if you have any other hypothyroid symkptoms (feel the cold, slow growing nails, tiredness in am and afternoon etc)

mercibucket Thu 01-Nov-12 19:47:29

Thyroid test, esp if you have any other hypothyroid symkptoms (feel the cold, slow growing nails, tiredness in am and afternoon etc)

pickledparsnip Thu 01-Nov-12 19:55:46

Watching with interest. PMS is making life very difficult. Always has, but seems to be getting worse . I only feel ok for about 1 week a month Tried evening primrose oil for 4 months, but did sod all. In fact I thought it made things worse .

digerd Thu 01-Nov-12 20:13:21

My goodness PICKLED, you shouldn't feel OK for only 1 week per month. Yes 1 week with cramp/period and 3 days of PMS, that is only 10 days per month of misery . Sad face for you

DameFanny Thu 01-Nov-12 20:18:44

Ah, of course, this may be why the cat's breathing too loudly and DH's gurgling tummy makes me want to KILL HIM.

blush

[empathy]

poachedeggs Fri 02-Nov-12 09:44:55

I've made an appointment with the nurse practitioner and I'll look into nutrition too I think. Anything is worth a shot, my DC deserve better.

HomeintheSun Sat 03-Nov-12 00:46:32

I have recently realised that after my period finishes and for the time before I ovulate I feel great I get on well with my husband and the DC are great too. After I ovulate I feel down and slightly depressed and feel unable to cope very well. I have been given some anti-depressants by the doctor.

mathanxiety Sat 03-Nov-12 02:57:06

I read somewhere that aspartame can make pms worse. If you drink a lot of diet fizzy drinks maybe easing off might be a good idea?

HerRoyalNotness Sat 03-Nov-12 03:28:08

I started taking a b vitamin complex, a dissolvable one. I take it every day for a week before I'm due and it's helped amazingly, it really takes the edge off

ppeatfruit Sat 03-Nov-12 14:23:49

If you have inexplicable exhaustion as well as yr rages.Then it's worth looking at your wheat intake (even whole organic bread sends DH over the edge) he cuts it out most of the time so knows what causes his 'moods'. You can get good non wheat breads from Waitrose and sainsbos (I don't eat it either, it stops my digestion dead and causes that horrible tiredness and lack of motivation feeling)

Agree about the EFA's to balance yr female hormones along with camomile tea (a strong 2 bag one at bedtime is lovely).

poachedeggs Sun 04-Nov-12 09:21:25

Thanks for all this.

Wheat doesn't agree with me if it's processed (bloating, lethargy, constipation etc) but seems OK in wholegrain form for some reason.

crashdoll Sun 04-Nov-12 10:01:36

Poached, have you ever considered that possibility of you having polycystic ovaries? I only ask because I suffered from terrible pre-period rage and depression. It made me suicidal. I had an ultrasound for an unrelated issue and they found I had PCOS. I was put on the pill (which I know you said you're not keen on) and it stopped very quickly. I also suggested PCOS as a possibility because when you have the syndrome, you often struggle with white carbs and similar.

I'm not a doctor, so not trying to diagnose you, just share my experience and I know that PCOS is quite common too.

reikizen Sun 04-Nov-12 13:49:25

Helpful info re: vit B6. I am really struggling with PMS and (no offence) a handful of almonds will not help the towering rage and fury that comes over me. Milder with the children but I am really struggling to maintain a normal relationship with DH pre-period. I am thinking of leaving him today confused and it is not like me! I am a nice person normally and very calm under pressure. I am thinking of trying acupuncture as I also get very bad headaches premenstrually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now