Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just a quick Q about DVT

(8 Posts)
EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 01-Nov-12 07:22:47

Not sure if anyone is up and about. I've not really slept, since being advised to go to A&E last night for suspected DVT.

It's probably NOT - well I hope not. But I'm 30 weeks pregnant, have been very breathless the last few days and feeling generally rubbish. Hoping it is just iron being low.

I've also been having a lot of cramping in one leg, that's been going on or a few weeks, and when I got back last night (after ecg and bloods) it looked like that ankle was a bit swollen. Not the other one though.

I've to go back this morning to see the doctor, and get results I suppose - but I just wondered if anyone else had had experience of this and whether it needed treatment - and if so what was done.

I'm nervous of taking medication at the best of times, and hoping not to have to. But I read that often clots below the knee were not treated anyway?

Also - any thoughts on the weirdy one-footed swelling, which I've never had before in any way (third pregnancy).

Much obliged xx

Trazzletoes Thu 01-Nov-12 07:29:53

Good that you have had it checked out. Only one of my feet swell...

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 01-Nov-12 07:44:30

Thanks Trazzle - did you have a DVT?

Also I hope you are doing as Ok as possible. Am following your thread x

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 01-Nov-12 07:45:56

I've had a DVT and a PE and getting it checked and if need be treated is so important. They might give you a shot of FRAGMIN in the thigh, it's a refectory safe anticoagulant that will help break any harmful clots down.
Swelling in pregnancy is normal to some extent but can be the sign of a clot or an early indication of pre eclampsia. Always better to be safe than sorry.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 01-Nov-12 07:49:14

Thankyou...thanks so much. sorry to hear that Titsalina.

They did want to give me clexane last night, before I went - I had to go because my children were at someone's house and it was late. But I said no because there wasn't definitely anything wrong, and I was scared about it making me feel worse than I already did (side effects etc) and not being able to cope all night. Silly I know but I've never had it before and don't know what it is.
In the end I had to sign a form saying I'd left against medical advice. blush

Does fragmin give you side effects, do you remember?

Trazzletoes Thu 01-Nov-12 08:13:48

Thanks Ed.

No, I havent had a DVT (although my Dad did...). I had swelling only in the left ankle in both pregnancies because of where the babies were lying. But I still got checked out. Hope it's nothing/ they can sort you out quickly.

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 01-Nov-12 08:23:26

I have Fragmin daily as a precautionary dose, there is no side effect at all except if you cut yourself obviously it can be hard to stop it bleeding but only in extreme wounds. They also can't give an epidural or spinal block when you've had it in 12 hours but apart from that its fine. smile

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 01-Nov-12 10:26:38

Thankyou guys. Trazzle, that's really good to know - hopefully it is just the baby compressing the nerve or something. That would make sense. I didn't know you could get one sided swelling!

Titsalina, thankyou very much - great to know there's no horrid side effects to deal with. I was worried about the increased risk of PPH maybe but looks like that's quite minimal too.

I've been sent home for now, d-dimer in bloods was elevated but only a bit and they said that can be the case in Pg anyway...had an ultrasound and though it was pretty sore, she didn't find anything in my leg. So they have just said, keep an eye, any chest pain etc go back in.

Fingers crossed and many thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now