Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really sore feet. All the time. Anyone else?

(34 Posts)
UterusUterusGhouli Wed 31-Oct-12 21:57:37

I've noticed in the last year or so I have really, really sore feet. It's particularly bad after a period of inactivity, but lately it's become so bad I am limping after sitting down or driving for a few minutes.

People are starting to take the piss because I limp so badly.

I am on my feet a lot. Only wear flat shoes. Wellies, birkies, converse or crocs for work.

Anyone else have this? What is it?

Hassled Wed 31-Oct-12 21:59:06

Does this seem likely?. DH had it - was in a lot of discomfort.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 21:59:52

Sore how? Like fallen arches type sore or walking around all day sore? How's the circulation in them?

Wesring flat shoes isn't great if you are on your feet a lot. Birkies are ok for me but I use Birkinstock insoles in my Converse.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 22:00:28

I had PF it was incredibly sore.

nancy75 Wed 31-Oct-12 22:00:42

If you stand up all day converse are probably not the best choice, they are totally flat and don't have any arch support, maybe you could try an insole with support? I worked in shops for years so you have my sympathy, sore feet is no fun

UterusUterusGhouli Wed 31-Oct-12 22:10:08

Oh wow so many responses! Thank you!

It does sound very much like PF, especially the first steps of the day being v sore. I'd never heard of it.

Actually I'd noticed today that it's worse in my converse. Will get some insoles. Might try some massage to and maybe pop to the GP.

You lot are clever. smile

How have you improved it?

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 22:24:26

I had to wear Birkinstocks or the insoles, it was the only relief I got. I think you have to wait for it to get better itself. Mine was sore for over a year! Rolling your foot along a bottle helps.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 22:26:58

Scholl do insoles with a good arch support, they are only about a fiver. Try to stretch you foot and ankle before walking on it.

UterusUterusGhouli Wed 31-Oct-12 22:27:45

Thank you, coco!

I'm glad I can keep living in my birkies. I might get some with toes for winter. grin

I might also be able to justify buying some new boots. wink

Where did you get the insoles from?

UterusUterusGhouli Wed 31-Oct-12 22:30:11

X posts!
Thanks!

There's a scholl in my nearest town so I'll pop in there.
I'll try stretching too. I had hideous cramps in pregnancy, so I'm kind of used to that.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 22:30:27

There are essential oils that are anti inflammatory, you can massage your foot with these at the end of the day to help any swelling. The spray Deep Freeze is good for using during the day.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 22:31:08

You can get birkie insoles online smile

bruffin Wed 31-Oct-12 22:41:24

I had pf, chiropodist advice was

Always wear soft soles shoes
Never walk barefoot on hard floors.
20mins of ice pack a day
And ibroprufen for 2 weeks

It cleared mine up after a whole summer of pain.

Also I have a natural heel of 1.5 inches and flat shoes are not good for me

oldsilvershamrock Wed 31-Oct-12 22:42:13

If you google you should find some PF exercises you can do, these stretch the calf muscles, it's all related - like wall pushes and hanging off stairs, by your toes. Use a towel to stretch pull your toes towards you before you get up on a morning.

Bottles are good, so are tennis balls. If it gets really bad freeze a tin of beans and roll that under your feet.

Yes to insoles too smile And shoes with a heel or wedge as opposed to flat. Trainers are good, if completely unattractive - I ended up wearing proper walking boots in the winter which seemed to do the trick.

When you are resting the ligaments start to heal, only they tighten too far and as soon as you get up you damage the ligaments again, afresh. So, if you do all the calf and feet stretches - the ligament won't heal so tight.

It took nearly six months for mine to recover, was walking with a stick it was that bad at one point. But, I appear to be out of it now and just take extra care of my feet. smile

Wolfiefan Wed 31-Oct-12 22:45:20

YY to stretches.
Roll sore foot over cold drinks can. Aaahhh bliss!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 31-Oct-12 22:46:43

PF is excruciating isn't it. I am never without my insoles any more (unless in my Birks!) Actually I have found FitFlops to be good too. Never ever go for that MBT shoe if you have PF problems.

It took mine probably 6 months to a year to clear up completely and now as long as I am sensible I don't get any flare-ups.

Doing ankle circles in bed before you get up in the morning is good too.

oldsilvershamrock Wed 31-Oct-12 22:55:24

I lived in my Fitflops in the Summer - they were wonderful smile And the podiatrist said never ever use MBTs.

Now and again I can actually wear proper pretty shoes now smile

I was on Naproxin for months and also prescribed codeine for when that didn't seem to touch it - what with the added Omeprazole to fight the related gut problems, I positively rattled grin

UterusUterusGhouli Wed 31-Oct-12 22:56:09

Oh thank you thank you thank you!

I thought I was being wussy.

I am open to sensible shoes, so that's a start eh!
I could have seen myself needing a stick soon. sad
pretty scary when you're 32!

SleeveOfWizard Wed 31-Oct-12 23:01:08

I get it, don't wear the best sort of footwear really. I spend a lot of time sitting down at work then am all stiff when I get up, and if I do walk around a bit, it's like i've done 10 miles or something.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 31-Oct-12 23:05:20

I had it too SOOO painful. But, I lost a stone and it's gone! Also, less sugar can help apparently.

Floggingmolly Wed 31-Oct-12 23:10:03

Watch your vitamin D levels. I had something similar to this and was terrified it was arthritis, but it turned out I had a vit D deficiency, which has a similar effect to rickets hmm

rainbowsprite1 Wed 31-Oct-12 23:14:50

you will probably laugh at me but i swear by these (having done MBT etc) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Shoes-Genuine-1339-14-Black-Patent-Womens-Boots-Sizes-UK-4-8-/300724958167?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item46049ab3d7

I do 15hrs a day in these, including 3 mile school run & a split shift standing up at a checkout, and i wouldnt wear anything else, the soles are huge, but think of all that insulation and cushioning, warm comfy feet smile

i have tried merrels, uggs, you name it, but these are the best

and no I dont work for them, I wish I did!

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 01-Nov-12 00:00:47

Mrs, I have put on a lot of weight as it happens. A combo of long days & low blood sugar remedied by cake.

Rainbow I can't c&p that link!

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 01-Nov-12 00:01:55

Sleeve, love your name! (sadly familiar)

I know what you mean.

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 01-Nov-12 00:03:13

Molly I walk the dog every day. Do you think that's enough sunlight?

How did you get around it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now