Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HEADACHE....!

(4 Posts)
TinyTreasure10 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:07:18

Hi All,

I had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) done last week. It's been 8 days since I've had it done and am suffering from an extremely bad headache! I have had this for a week and it doesn't seem to be budging.

I'm on strong painkillers and drinking lots of caffeine but it just won't go away and it's so painful, I'm unable to sit up for longer than 2 minutes without my head feeling like is going to explode..

Has anyone had this procedure done before that has suffered a post-lumbar puncture headache and could possibly give some advice?

I have a little toddler to look after and can't because the headache is literally immobilising me!!

Thanks xx

P.S. happy Halloween smile

Princesspond Thu 01-Nov-12 00:08:49

How awful, I would speak to your doctor, is this an expected side effect post-procedure? Perhaps get better painkillers e.g. are you taking ones with codeine in? (but watch out for constipation). I hope you feel better soon

You may need a 'blood patch' ..the headache should be gone by now and as it's not they can perform a very simple procedure to get your CSF back up to the right levels.. go to the docs tomorrow..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-dural-puncture_headache

TinyTreasure10 Fri 02-Nov-12 00:21:20

Thank you for your messages.

The headache is a side-effect from this but the fact it hasn't gone away is making me wonder if it is something else, as my back and neck are very painful at the moment.

I have an appointment with doctor tomorrow as I would like something done but would like to avoid the 'blood patch' if possible as I had such a bad time with the spinal tap I am a bit anxious about anything else being done on my back involving needles. And with the risk that it may not work!

I'm taking tramadol, ibuprofen and paracetamol - none of which are working so may suggest codeine based pain relief.

Fingers crossed it passes soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now