Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

retirement homes etc...how do they work

(6 Posts)
chocolateshoes Tue 30-Oct-12 19:56:41

DH's parents are aging especially his Dad. He is more and more frail and can't walk far. At the moemnt they live on a 1st floor flat and we are concerned that very soon he will be unable to manage the stairs - leaving him housebound. We mentioned retirement homes to DH's mum and she said that they wouldn't be allowed a dishwasher, washing machine etc & that everything would have to be done communally. They have an active social life and entertain a reasonable bit so this wouldn't be great. DH and I really know very little about these things....does there exist somewhere with 2 bathrooms, decent kitchen & some independence yet some assistance as they get older?

Thanks

gingeroots Tue 30-Oct-12 20:30:15

have a look at Age Uk for advice www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/housing-choices/buying-a-retirement-home/

they link to www.housingcare.org/ for example

orangeflutie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:30:17

There does near where I live and I currently work there. It's a retirement village - St Georges Park, Ditchling Common, West Sussex. I'm not good at links but there is info on line if you google. All the flats are self-contained with own equipment. There is care assistance available if needed plus in house domestic services.

I don't know where you live but I'm sure there are similar places about.

Good luck

myfavoritedayismonday Wed 31-Oct-12 06:07:54

What about them moving to a ground floor flat somewhere? When they need care they could have a home carer visit them at home. A flat with an accessible shower would be best so that when he can no longer get in the bath he can use that.

chocolateshoes Sat 03-Nov-12 10:53:09

thanks for those replies. They are worried about break-ins with ground floor flats so don't think they'd be keen. I'm glad to know that there do seem to be some possibilities so those replies are brilliant - I needed to know whether it was worth persevering with the discussions about moving out!

CMOTDibbler Sat 03-Nov-12 16:05:48

My mums friend lives in the sort of place you are looking for - its a block of flats (well, two floors of them), they all have their own front door, and there is then a restaurant and bar that is vv reasonably priced, activities that she can go to if she wishes, visiting hairdresser, and you can buy in care if needed.
If I remember right, this lady moved there at 65 or so, knowing that she'd be pretty much able to stay there whatever happened, and is still there at pushing 90

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now