Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It's been 6 months and I have had enough...I am having my mirenacoil coil OUT..

(9 Posts)
Badvoc Tue 30-Oct-12 14:28:39

...any advice/suggestions what I can use as alternative form of contraception?
Since having g&t mirena in I have basically spotted and bled and leaked brown sludge (sorry for tmi)
Am very fed up sad

Badvoc Tue 30-Oct-12 14:29:15

...oh and I can't have the pill as I am a stroke risk and didn't get on with cerazette either sad

orangeflutie Tue 30-Oct-12 16:38:32

I had exactly the same experience as you with the Mirena and also had it out after 6 months.

I was sterilised two years ago (tubes clipped). Much better now as all the worry of contraception has gone.

chairmanofthebored Tue 30-Oct-12 19:13:24

I had spotting for several months with mirena but it did eventually settle down. I kept getting thrush whilst i had it, and i did wonder whether that might have been the cause (must have read something to suggest that on google!) Anyway after my Second child i opted for the copper coil (nova t) and apart from some stronger cramps on insertion (post section this time!) i have found it to be wonderful and have now had it for over a year. (Still getting the bastard thrush though!)

The only thing to bear in mind is increased menstrual flow can be an issue for some, but not all women. As my periods were fairly light to begin with i have found a slight increase on the first day to not really be a problem for me.

There is also a brilliant version of the nova t that you can have for up to ten years! I was unable to have this as my cervix would not cooperate, but i really wished i could have.

Also quick nerdy fact; the copper coil is actually more reliable than female sterilisation.

Badvoc Wed 31-Oct-12 07:32:09

Am seeing a gp today hopefully.
They may be able to suggest something else sad

UnderwaterCasketWeaving Wed 31-Oct-12 07:41:19

Copper coil here too. 2nd day of period is pretty heavy, but nothing my mooncup can't handle. (and far preferable to the continuous spotting I've had with the implant & mini pill)

Thoroughly recommend it. (had it a year)

sanityawol Wed 31-Oct-12 08:07:44

I can sympathise badvoc. I had the Mirena about 6 months too, and had months of spotting and bleeding, the sludge every other day and a couple of 'floods'. I finally got round to going to doctors about 4 weeks ago to get checked over as I have a fibroid and I wanted to make sure it wasn't kicking off.

The next day I had what appeared to be my first proper period since having DS which lasted about 7 days. But since then I've had no spotting at all. I'm not getting too excited yet, but I am hoping it is finally settling down.

Interestingly, whilst my GP told me that it should be settled in within 6 weeks, the nurse I saw said that 6 to 9 months is normal.

Am seeing how it goes for now, but if it kicks off again then I'll be having it removed.

Badvoc Wed 31-Oct-12 08:22:54

Sorry you have had trouble too sad
I was very meh about having it in tbh but relented as I was anaemic due tipo blood loss....very fed up sad

Badvoc Wed 31-Oct-12 11:00:05

So.
Had the coil out.
Didn't even feel it!
Will see what happens now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now