Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't be broken bone.............can it?

(11 Posts)
minxthemanx Tue 30-Oct-12 08:00:03

Rushing around yesterday I went over heavily on one ankle. It sort of doubled underneath me, and I felt something 'go', an odd sensation. It was incredibly painful, I felt sick, dizzy and dropped the laptop bag I was holding. Leant against a fence for a little while till I felt able to hobble to car. (Had both the DS with me.)

Now, I assumed it was just a sprained tendon or something, as could weight bear and managed to carry on as normal for rest of day. Every so often I'd take a step and get a shooting pain, but generally could walk ok, so didn't go to A & E. It's still swollen today (elevated and put ice on yesterday), and some nice bruising .........I'm 99% sure it;s just sprained . Can rotate ankle ok tho painful in one direction (but can move it.) A nagging part of me is saying get it x rayed this morning, the other part is saying it's just sprained and bruised, I wouldn't be able to weight bear if bone cracked. The thought of A & E with the DC is not attractive. Any thoughts?

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 08:04:29

It's difficult to say, but getting an x ray wouldn't take long if it's NOT broken, as they'll let you go after - and probably necessary if it IS...you shouldn't leave it imo.

FrightRunScream Tue 30-Oct-12 08:06:16

The only way to be sure is to get it x rayed ( I am a first aider, so I am not saying that). The symptoms of a sprain /strain and break can be the same.

minxthemanx Tue 30-Oct-12 08:14:30

Hmmm. I'm convinced it's bruised and mildly sprained rather than anything worse but guess I ought to be safe, there's a bit of odd clicking going on in there too. Oh the thought of half term, A & E, with 2 very lively boys... can I hope that 9am is a fairly quiet time to go............

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 08:21:35

Yes I hope it is. From my experience there's not many people queueing at this time of day.

Let us know how you get on x

minxthemanx Tue 30-Oct-12 08:23:19

Thanks.

wishiwasonholiday Tue 30-Oct-12 08:25:02

I sprained mine badly and couldn't bear weight on it, if its painful to move I would get it checked.

peedoffbird Tue 30-Oct-12 08:52:44

Hi. I did the same a year ago. Was very bad and couldn't weight bear. My ankle bone was chipped and I had to wear one of those very attractive boot things.

A colleague of mine did a similar thing and could weight bear. Left it for a week and then went to get it checked out. Turns out that he had broken his ankle in 3 places. Very nasty injury that took months to heal.

So yes, get it checked. Hopefully will just be a bad sprain.

Erebus Tue 30-Oct-12 10:48:48

Get it xrayed.

'Just a sprain' can actually be worse (sorry!) than a clean break as ligaments and tendons can take longer to 'knit'. Even with a sprain you could well end up in plaster to allow healing to take place, and the good thing is someone who knows what they're talking about will be treating you. Good luck!

minxthemanx Tue 30-Oct-12 12:01:13

Well in and out of A&E in just over an hour, record. No break, but sprained and the 'give' that I felt was prob a ligament tearing a bit. No strapping or anything, just told not to run or cycle for a bit (I'll try wink).

Have been shopping and doing usual bits - ankle now feels like a football, very puffy and stiff. Guess I need to keep it up for a while.

Erebus Tue 30-Oct-12 12:09:21

Yes, elevate it when you can. Glad they don't think it'll be a long term thing but I absolutely think you did the right thing by going. Lots of people misuse A&E but to me, this is the very sort of thing you should go for, on the basis your GP would have sent you for an xray anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now