Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What painkillers?

(19 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 07:14:15

Have post viral arthritus, am resting lots and have good days and bad days, today is a bad day, only part of me that actually hurts now is lower back but it is bloody agony!

What can I buy to help, on diclofenic so don't think can take ibuprofen type stuff and paracetamol just about taking edge off but not enough to get on with day!

corblimeymadam Tue 30-Oct-12 07:16:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuch2young Tue 30-Oct-12 07:21:39

If diclofenac aren't doing enough to help then you need to go back to docs, they may give you something stronger like tramadol. I find diclofenac a good anti inflammatory for muscle pain and headaches, but some people don't find it helps at all, pain relief seems to be a very personal thing. If you are on diclofenac for a while make sure they give you a gut protector like omeprazole.
Good luck hope you feel better soon.

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Tue 30-Oct-12 07:22:19

Get a GP appointment if you can, they will have an armoury of things to prescribe and can definitely help a lot.

MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 07:24:52

Thanks too much am taking lansoprazole too, it's just some days it really hurts and I think I am going to end up depressed if this carries on, I've gone from a runner with a nice little job who is never still to an old granny!

toomuch2young Tue 30-Oct-12 07:27:33

sad it sucks doesn't it. I have a painful long term health condition that stops me doing a lot of things I want to do. Some days you just want to curl up an cry don't you.
Be gentle on yourself and take time to relax without pressure.

MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 07:33:59

You've made me cry now! I just feel guilty that I can't do as much and everyone is having to help. I have a lovely husband and friends who are helping with the kids, work have been great, only one evil cow making snide remarks, it's just shit!

Feeling sorry for myself!

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Tue 30-Oct-12 07:36:20

My GP produced drugs I hadn't even heard of for my neurological pain, really helped..please do go back and tell them how much you are suffering.

And have a big hug too smile

toomuch2young Tue 30-Oct-12 07:44:30

That's ok to have a cry and feel sorry for yourself, you will dust yourself off again when you are ready.
Defo call the GP, let DH and friends help in whatever way they. Second the hug. Keep posting on here to that's always helpful even if its just for a rant. grin

MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 07:48:27

Thanks chaps, supposed to be taking ds to cinema today, that going to be fun, should be able to go straight to GP from there.

You are both very strong and brave not to go demented being in pain all of the time! I want to bloody scream sometimes!

toomuch2young Tue 30-Oct-12 07:52:32

Have fun at the cinema with ds. Hope the gp sorts you out. I'm lucky enough to have a really good understanding one.
Don't think I mentioned anything about not screaming occasionally wink

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Tue 30-Oct-12 08:05:22

Am a bit demented wink

shitmagnet Tue 30-Oct-12 08:06:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crashdoll Tue 30-Oct-12 08:40:40

I'm glad you are going to the GP. I have RA and I get some relief (depending on the day) from celebrex, co-codamol (30mg/500mg) and the occasional tramadol when things are really tough. There are lots of different combinations of pain relieving medications, so hang in there. Pain is mentally as well as physially draining. It's natural to feel emotional and all over the place. I'm glad you have support, it really makes all the difference. I do understand why you feel guilty but when you feel those feelings, remind yourself that you're not well and to be kind to yourself. smile

MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 16:11:36

Thanks chaps, have doctors appointment at 5pm. I am a little worried that this will be my life forever and I'm not sure how I will handle that. Some days are good and some bad, bottom of my back hurts mostly, when limbs got better I thought that it would be over soon and started doing more but then would be wiped out the following day. It's just shit, shit being in pain, shit not being able to go running with DD, shit having to rely on people so much and worrying about work and when I'll be able to go back.

The receptionist was lovely at the doctors and said she will log the appoint as being for pain management so hopefully he will sort something out for me. Something that won't cause me long term issues and will enable me to get on with life.

What do you do though if the pain isn't there due to drugs, do you just go about normal life or do you still have to take things easy because I'm not great at that, more of an attack things at full throttle kind of person!

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Tue 30-Oct-12 16:52:31

quick good luck from here!

ask the GP that about activity levels when pain managed smile

toomuch2young Tue 30-Oct-12 18:09:46

Hey hope the appointment went well and you get a referral soon to the pain clinic.
Hope your ok and are going easy on yourself.
And a nice doctors receptionist, who knew they existed grin, mine are actually very nice to but they have a bad reputation!!

MadameCastafiore Tue 30-Oct-12 18:37:11

Thanks ladies., was given solpadol. He wa lovely, has referred me to rheumatologist, said to be sensible in terms of activity and if next day am bad I know not to do that much again until am feeling better than I did when I thought I could manage.

Going to buy myself a float and go swimming, my arms are ok, it's more my lower body so if I stick float between my legs should be able to at least exercise a bit which will help me not be so down I think.

Just got to hope don't throw tablets back up now or get woosie as that will keep me housebound!

Thanks though guys, it's nice to get help and support and advice. Just hope you are getting as much support.

MCX

toomuch2young Wed 31-Oct-12 23:15:49

Hey sounds like you are getting sensible help, hope the solphadol have helped and you have been able to have a less painful day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now