Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone hazard a guess on this? Food poisoning related.

(15 Posts)
alabasterangel Mon 29-Oct-12 22:44:16

We rarely suffer from tummy issues so very unaware of the differences between bugs and poisoning but basically......

8pm sat DH and I shared a takeaway from a place we have used dozens of times over the years. Two different mains, one shared rice.

2am I woke up feeling nauseous, could hear DH moving about, he said he felt nauseous too, onset time was pretty identical.

From 3am sat to 3pm sun we were both violently ill, including projectile vomiting which I've never seen or had before. Bloody scary!! Never before felt like my body was trying sooooo hard to get something out!

It was so bad that my poor mum had to drive 130 miles to help as I really couldn't feed DCs or deal with nappies. Neither DCs ill, nor my mother who had to deal with quite a lot of exorcist type decoration.....although she was obviously hygienically vigilant.

I hear if you suspect the food source you should report it, and I'd hate anyone else to suffer like we did, but I'm naive about food poisoning over vomiting bugs and feel like we know the takeaway owners (by custom, anyway) and don't want to be reporting over nothing but I really do instinctively feel that could have been the cause.

Is there any way to differentiate?

IHeartKingThistle Mon 29-Oct-12 22:50:07

Sounds like it was the takeaway, sorry. Sounds awful.

PseudoBadger Mon 29-Oct-12 23:03:41

Take a sample to your doctor. If it comes back as a food poisoning pathogen then they will notify Environmental Health who will then contact you. It's not really down to you to decide where it came from, EH will do that if necessary.

alabasterangel Mon 29-Oct-12 23:07:18

Thanks. Presumably you mean stool sample, vomiting has thankfully stopped. I'll call gp first thing.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 29-Oct-12 23:10:37

Rice.

You can get very sick from rice.

Egg fried rice? Especially if it has been reheated. Many restaurants use leftover rice and re-fry. But rice has to be kept refrigerated, and used within 48 hours.

PseudoBadger Mon 29-Oct-12 23:32:32

Yes stool sample, you can freeze it if needed...

KurriKurri Mon 29-Oct-12 23:33:30

very likely to have been the rice. People are often careless about rice - we tend to associate food poisoning more with meat - but you can get a very nasty form from rice, and it comes on pretty quickly as yours did.

I would never reheat rice personally (but my DH is a microbiologist working on food born pathogens - so we're uber cautious!).

Yes you should report it, if this particular take away is doing something that is not safe regarding food they should be stopped from doing it. next person they poison might be elderly or a child, and much more vulnerable to serious consequences.

And if you report and it turns out not to be the take away - then they've nothing to worry about, no harm done.

Viperidae Mon 29-Oct-12 23:35:14

Do they test poo for food poisoning? I've never heard of this before.

StarsGhostTail Mon 29-Oct-12 23:36:33

Sounds like food poisoning.

The once I've had it, it was like that. Very sudden very violent vomiting and not being able to stop long after there was anything left.

Leaves you absolutely dead when it does finally stop.

TheFarSide Mon 29-Oct-12 23:38:12

<imagining frozen sample in the freezer>

PseudoBadger Tue 30-Oct-12 05:34:12

I hope so Viperidae otherwise I spent a lot of time as a student collecting poo from people for absolutely no reason grin
Your doctor or EH department can give you sample pots with a handy integrated teaspoon. You only need a little bit smile

alabasterangel Tue 30-Oct-12 06:33:55

Thank you all.

Pseudobadger, will the offending nasty still show up in poo today/tomorrow after the food on sat night or is that too long?

Yes I'm beyond drained. Picking up ds (16 months) is like lifting a hod of bricks. Exhausting, gurgling gassy stomach and terrible pain still.

PseudoBadger Tue 30-Oct-12 06:40:27

It depends on the bug really. Try and get advice from the doctor today.

PseudoBadger Tue 30-Oct-12 06:40:42

Hope you feel better soon!

Bertrude Tue 30-Oct-12 07:17:06

Aye it'll still be in your system if its something particularly nasty. The Husband once got campylobacter and was very similar to you guys, got told it was gastroenteritis on the Monday, by WEdnesday was no better at all so went back and did his first shit sample.

He did weekly samples for 6 weeks as he wasn't allowed back in work (or allowed to use a toilet outside his own home) until he got a clear result. They were amazed I didn't catch it too, so be extra careful around the kids until you know what it is.

The Health Protection Agency then wanted to know everywhere within a 2 week period that he'd eaten ready prepared food from. That was a nice phone call to my friend whose wedding we'd been at 48 hours before he got ill, checking that nobody else was poorly. In the end the kebab place he'd eaten at at 3am on the Sunday morning (started vomming at about 1pm Sunday) was blamed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now