Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dizziness before and during period

(16 Posts)
OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 29-Oct-12 21:39:11

Since my periods returned 16 months ago after having DS I've been having lots of dizzy spells.

It took me a few cycles to link it to my period but in the 3 or 4 days leading up to my period I get dizzy and then the first few days of my period are awful. Proper room-spinning dizziness. I can sometimes feel nauseous too and it is often accompanied by a blinding headache.

I'm not anaemic (had bloods taken a few months ago for something unrelated but iron levels were good). I have poly cystic ovaries and my periods are always very painful.

Cycle length is getting shorter too, just 24 days this month. I'm 35 so could be perienopausal maybe? I know I need to get checked out but just wondered if anyone has had similar? Only info I can find online always links it to anaemia which it isn't in my case.

Hassled Mon 29-Oct-12 21:45:05

I don't know (anaemia was my only suggestion grin) but I think you need to go and see your GP about this. I'd be surprised if it was perimenopausal - you're very young for that. I know it took a long time for my cycles to settle in to some sort of normality post-DCs, but I never had the dizziness you describe.

FannyPriceless Mon 29-Oct-12 21:46:26

I have fainted from something diagnosed as vasovagal reaction which happened at the start of my period. Maybe google that? Dizziness, spinning, ringing in my head...

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 29-Oct-12 22:06:23

Ok, maybe the perimenopausal thing was wishful thinking - periods started when I was 11 and I've had nothing but grief from them ever since! After 4 DCs my family is complete.

Will google what you suggested Fanny (apt name there!), thanks.

HoopDePoop Mon 29-Oct-12 22:09:20

Sounds like you're possibly low in iron and the blood loss from your periods is highlighting it iyswim. Have you ever been anaemic? Do you get enough red meat?

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 29-Oct-12 22:15:34

I do eat quite a bit of red meat, really don't think I'm low in iron. Surely if it was that I would either have symptoms all the time or, if blood loss made it worse then I wouldn't get the dizziness in the days leading up to my period?

My blood pressure is slightly on the low side - usually around 90/60 which I think is low-ish - could that have anything to do with it?

I'm lying in bed now and feel like I've had too much to drink. Very lightheaded sad

HoopDePoop Tue 30-Oct-12 10:58:08

Sorry, had imbibed wine last night and didn't realise you'd already discounted anaemia! I think the low blood pressure is def linked, but you need to see a GP and get checked out - not much useful anyone can say on here really. Good luck.

StuntNun Wed 31-Oct-12 08:14:29

Maybe check out the symptoms of Ménière's Disease?

janx Wed 31-Oct-12 09:07:56

Hi
I have recently been to doctors about dizzy spells linked to my period. I am a lot older than you and get awful headaches. I was booked in for an MRI scan but the consultant thinks its migraines which can cause a whole lot of symptoms

Mybabyseyes Wed 31-Oct-12 12:18:15

I get this. Feels like I've been drinking! My gp says it is hormones induced vertigo. I take tablets when it starts which do the trick. I will find out the name when I get in & post later.

Mybabyseyes Wed 31-Oct-12 12:22:14

Weirdly enough mine started after my 4th as well. I'm dreading my periods returning after ds5. I find if I do drink near my period now it takes much longer to recover or when I get a bit more stressed it starts it off. Is awfulsad

ethelb Wed 31-Oct-12 22:35:35

I have low blood pressure and I have this. I gave been checked out for anaemia and don't have it. Ut could just be one if those things. Could you ask to have low blood pressure treated?

MummysHappyPills Thu 01-Nov-12 00:01:10

I get migraines and the first sign I am getting one is vertigo. I often get them just before my period. I usually feel sick and get visual diaturbances too, but don't always necessarily get a bad headache... I also just feel generally yuck and a bit "fainty" around the time of my period.

dizzydawn123 Mon 20-Oct-14 00:00:33

I get same .. few days before period .. feel really dizzy and for first few days aswell .. feel as if I could just fall over .. I also have polisistic ovaries .. add my iron checked few times .. and fine .. ad my ears checked also fine .. seeing other people coments its seems to be sum sort of homornal imbalance when the body changes due to periods .... wat us women go through is mad .

fknuts Sat 07-May-16 22:42:26

I'm laid in bed googling periods and dizziness, ugh! and this link popped up. Did you find out what it was? Also a pcos sufferer

Dakin1 Sun 08-May-16 10:14:01

I have this problem too and also suffer from migraines so I imagine it is linked as I didn't have a single episode of dizziness or a migraine when pregnant and BF. Also have polycystic ovaries.

Taking vitamin B supplements has helped with the dizziness, also eating regularly, plenty of iron and carbs round your period and avoiding dairy and alcohol. drinking lots of water. Anxiety seems to make my dizziness worse so try and take 10 mins each day to relax and meditate (I say this but it's hard enough with 1 DC never mind 4!)

if your family is complete you could also consider going on a low dose pill as you wouldn't have a real period and then your bleed would be shorter and not so heavy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now