Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TSH 2.88 THYROID OK?

(8 Posts)
mumtoaandj Mon 29-Oct-12 15:11:25

so i had a miscarriage first week september and since then have put on more than a stone of weight (i am not comfort eating),(now nearly 14 stone-heavier that with my pregnancies) i feel extremely tired, dizzy, and cold. i have been to the doctors and they did thyroid blood test- the results came back "normal". she said maybe i was depressed. i have suffered with depression since i was 17 i am 36 now- it isn't that. My face is rounder too. i know something isn't right, Should i go back in and state how i still feel and that i do think it is my thyroid- or am i being daft? i have started to restrict my diet and going to try 5:2 diet so atleast my weight doesn't increase anymore.

mumtoaandj Tue 30-Oct-12 16:58:24

PLEASE?

mignonette Tue 30-Oct-12 17:04:31

Ask for more tests sweetheart as the standard one for levels of T3 and T4 doesn't always show up problems. Also more doctors are accepting that a low-normal result can trigger significant symptoms of myxoedema and so they treat with thyroxine. If your test was a total T4 then your levels are on the low side. if you had a free T4 test then your levels aren't low.

You need to have a specific talk with your doctor and write your symptoms down. How is your skin, pulse, hair condition, are your menstrual periods heavy, light, absent: do you feel cold? Are your eyebrows thinning or the same?

Go back and ask for more in depth tests

mercibucket Tue 30-Oct-12 22:54:10

Did they test t4, t3 and antibodies as well? You need those to see what's really going on
I'm sorry about your miscarriage sad If you are ttc again, you could point out that it's best for your tsh to be well under 2

mercibucket Tue 30-Oct-12 22:54:10

Did they test t4, t3 and antibodies as well? You need those to see what's really going on
I'm sorry about your miscarriage sad If you are ttc again, you could point out that it's best for your tsh to be well under 2

mumtoaandj Wed 31-Oct-12 07:47:30

Hi thank you for the reposnses, i went to the doctor last week and it was a different doctor and said my tsh level was 2.88 and i was normal. However, i feel awful, i am sleepy, tired, sleeping 12 hours a night, my arm muscles biceps hurt, i am freezing and have been since my miscarriage, since august 25th ive put on one stone plus..i dare not look at the scales now, my fingers keep swelling and feel strange...oh and i am very dizzy. ive been to the doctors about the symptons and had my blood pressure checked which is low but also fluctuating a lot, the doctor thinks it is anxiety and depression and that the dizzyness may be due to recurring ear infections.my face is also much rounder than normal.
I have been depressed for 18 plus years and this is not depression. i am 36 years old.i will rebook an appointment with my proper gp

mercibucket Wed 31-Oct-12 08:35:16

Ask for another blood test to include t4 and antibodies, plus b12, ferritin, vit d and cholesterol
When your thyroid is under attack, your tsh can yoyo up and down, maybe they caught it on a 'down'? Also, get bloods done first thing in the morning.
If you are ttc, tell the GP and tell him your tsh needs to be under 2 for that to happen. Lots on the internet about it.
Thyroid uk has a good forum on healthunlocked.com. You could also ask there for advice
Certainly sounds thyroid related

mercibucket Wed 31-Oct-12 08:35:16

Ask for another blood test to include t4 and antibodies, plus b12, ferritin, vit d and cholesterol
When your thyroid is under attack, your tsh can yoyo up and down, maybe they caught it on a 'down'? Also, get bloods done first thing in the morning.
If you are ttc, tell the GP and tell him your tsh needs to be under 2 for that to happen. Lots on the internet about it.
Thyroid uk has a good forum on healthunlocked.com. You could also ask there for advice
Certainly sounds thyroid related

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now