Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My cold sore HELL. Has nayone used the zapping machines? Any good?

(7 Posts)
Spidermama Mon 29-Oct-12 09:51:20

This is my second massive cold sore in two months. NIGHTMARE!
Does anything speed up their recovery?
What about these new zapping machines they have in Boots. Anyone used them?

At least on the bright side my Halloween costume will look a bit more realistic. angry

Sallythedog Mon 29-Oct-12 12:12:56

Yes, I've tried one, some while ago now, and I wasn't convinced that it made much difference. However, my GP has now prescribed Aciclovir tabs, 400mg, twice daily, and I've not had a cold sore since I've been taking them. I believe at one time they were a very expensive drug, but now they're out of copyright, or whatever the technical term is, and are fairly cheap, so your GP may be willing to give them to you. I certainly think they're cheaper than the prescription charge, so possibly a net gain for the NHS? (That's mean to be lighthearted as I know the misery of cold sores.)

OhYouBigBadBeast Mon 29-Oct-12 22:17:34

I've got one under and in my nose at the moment. Tis Bleuch, I'm glad it's half term. I hardly ever get them. I'm using dhs zapping machine and Zovirax. It did only weep for a day. Dunno if that's normal? I tried those compeed plasters. Made it look loads worse and peeled half off while I was at the pub Saturday lunchtime. Rather embarrassing.

Promethea Mon 29-Oct-12 22:21:24

Take lysine supplements, it works.

CunningPlan Mon 29-Oct-12 22:28:34

Sali Hughes recommends them here

Welovecouscous Mon 29-Oct-12 22:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5ThingsUnderTheBed Mon 29-Oct-12 22:33:24

I second going to your gp for aciclovir.

I suffered from a young age with coldsores, got the when stressed, run down or due on. Have tried everything under the sun! I had a huge outbreak last year when I had strep throat and was prescribed these and have not had a cold sore since, not even a tingle on a one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now