Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

On holiday abroad, ear infection, HELP!!

(18 Posts)

Right I'm on holiday in Dubai and have got (over the last 2 days) a horrible war infection. I had the same not long ago in the other ear and had to have antibiotic/steroid ear drops.

How the hell do I get these here? It hurts so much I've been up half the night (it's 6.47 here now) and I can't imagine leaving it as its only got worse over the last 24 hrs!

HELP!!!

TanteRose Mon 29-Oct-12 03:04:42

will the hotel not have a medical contact or something?

phone the front desk (assuming you are staying in a hotel)

poor you - earache is the worst sad

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Mon 29-Oct-12 03:09:23

obv do doc etc etc etc but do you happen to have tea tree oil in your luggage? this has saved ear infections from getting too bad for me in the past. (but then i am Hard As Nails and just dripped it in)

TanteRose Mon 29-Oct-12 03:17:54

home remedies

warm olive oil is supposed to be good

Aitch - you is well 'ard grin

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Mon 29-Oct-12 03:20:01

i am, when it comes to ear infections. they are the work of the very devil and i've been admitted to hospital with them before (not since my well 'ard tea tree method was invented though).

mix some up with a carrier oil if you're worried. my ears just CLOSE immediately they get infected, so i can pour anything in there and just the tiniest squeak will end off penetrating.

Thanks for the advice nope not it a hotel, we're at my FILs, but he's at work sad

Thanks for the tea tree tip I actually have some in my luggage I will pull it out. It honestly can't hurt more than it does now.

Aitch tea tree oil stings like a motherfucker!!

musicalendorphins Mon 29-Oct-12 06:11:57

It isn't as good as a script, but you can use antibiotic eye drops bought in the drug store. I do not know what is available where you are though. I find taking a decongestant eases the pain. Perhaps the plane agitated your ear, it always happened to my friend when she flew.

NosFarlotu Mon 29-Oct-12 06:23:30

An odd but good tip is to microwave half an onion until it is about half cooked and stick it in a teatowel then hold it over your ear. Stinks, but worked for DD when she had a horrendous ear infection. A tip from DH's childhood GP apparently who had trained in herbal medicine too. Hope you are better soon.

Numberlock Mon 29-Oct-12 06:45:13

Boots have branches in Dubai so see if one of them has a pharmacist.

Sirzy Mon 29-Oct-12 07:00:32

Have you been taking ibroufen? My gp rarely give antibiotics now for ear infection as there is doubt as to how much they change the natural course of the infection anyway

ripsishere Mon 29-Oct-12 07:04:56

You should be able to walk into a hospital and see an ENT person if that's any help.

barbie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:06:20

The meadows clinic in the springs will see anyone, you will have to pay but they can prescribe medicine for you, failing that the boots at IBM mall have a very good pharmacist

Thanks guys. The bit I forgot to say is I'm 33 wks pg so ibuprofen is out for me sad am heading to the mall of emirates to find a boots. Oo eye drops are a good idea the steroid ones were ear/eye that I had at home.

barbie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:12:00

Yes moe has a boots on the second floor close to debenhams, good luck!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Mon 29-Oct-12 09:27:06

how's tricks today?

Just back from the mall. Other than feeling the need to faint (which I narrowly avoided by sitting on the floor) we got to the BinSina chemist first. The lovely pharmacist gave me some eye/ear drops and I got paracetamol too. I still can't hear yet but I have only done the ear drops once. It's hurting a lot less now so something is working!

Thanks for all the help!

musicalendorphins Tue 30-Oct-12 05:47:44

I am so glad! Ginger tea will help with the ear congestion too, it really helps my ears a lot, as I can't take decongestants due to blood pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now