Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vitrectomy- painful? improves eyesight?

(7 Posts)
funnyperson Sun 28-Oct-12 19:12:11

Has anyone had a vitrectomy or know anyone who has had one? Did it improve eyesight? Was it painful? What pain relief did you have and for how long? How soon afterwards did you notice an improvement?

catclarks Sun 28-Oct-12 19:32:15

Me!!!! I had a vitrectomy in 2001. Don't have time to reply just now. Will come back either tonight when kiddies are in bed or tomorrow.

catclarks Mon 29-Oct-12 13:13:03

Sorry, I meant to get back to you sooner. I suffer from PIC and had a vitrectomy in 2001. I had neovascularisation and lost all central vision in one eye. The procedure itself was ok. It was done under local anaesthetic, although I was given a light general while they numbed the area. The worst bit was having to lie face down for 24 hours afterwards to prevent a retinal detachment. From what I remember it was a bit sore for a couple of days, like I had something in my eye. I was given various drops to prevent infection and to help with the pain. I think the stitches fell out after about 2 weeks. I had a month off work as you have to be careful not to do anything that might risk the incision from reopening. I used the time very productively to catch up on many a cinema trip grin

The surgery was deemed a success and I have recovered a bit of central vision so I am really glad I went ahead.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. It’s a horrible decision to make and I would have loved to have talked to someone beforehand.

carrielou2007 Tue 30-Oct-12 19:28:59

I've had three in the last four months due to detatched retina and nog something I would chose to do unless entirely necessary! Very very painful, also done under local though only as I am pregnant and if also caused a cataract so had to have that done four weeks later too. No vision at all yet in that eye sad

carrielou2007 Tue 30-Oct-12 19:30:42

Oh yes xbx the posturing is very hard going sitting/lying face down for 50 mins out if every 60 sad

funnyperson Wed 31-Oct-12 02:14:29

Thank you !hmm- both of you had it done under a local anaesthetic - would a general have been better?
Nursing face down doesnt sound like an option for my dad who is in congestive cardiac failure and needs to sit up.
I wonder how much the op improved sight

catclarks Wed 31-Oct-12 11:16:15

funnyperson I have sent you a PM.

carrielou I hope you get some vision back soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now