Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ear piercing problems - infected?

(4 Posts)
Tamisara Sun 28-Oct-12 12:22:43

I had my ears re-pierced 8 weeks ago. I'd had them pierced twice before (with guns), but despite having the holes for nearly 30 years, everytime I wore earrings they would swell up.

After not being able to get earrings in at all, I went to a tattoo parlour, where the piercer couldn't get studs through the existing holes, so re-pierced with a needle.

I kept to the cleaning instructions - salt water soaks twice a day. My left ear has constantly been a problem. DD1 has a habit of grabbing it, and since the first time she did this, it has been sore. I also sleep on that side.

I stopped cleaning them two weeks ago, and they seemed fine. But today the left ear is swollen, with clear pus at the back, and is itchy.

I finished a high dose of antibiotics (for a chest infection) on friday, so cannot see how a new infection has taken hold so strongly - help?

Shesparkles Sun 28-Oct-12 12:24:47

What kind of metal are your studs made from? You could have a sensitivity to that.

Tamisara Sun 28-Oct-12 12:35:44

Hi - I'm not sure, I know they only provide surgical steel or titanium. I did think it may have been a reaction (as it's similar to when I used to wear my old earrings), what confuses me though, is the other side is fine.

I don't know whether to throw caution to the wind & apply TCP, or just re-start the salt water rinse?

AnitaBlake Sun 28-Oct-12 12:50:57

Could be a nickel allergy/sensitivity. I have this. I can't wear cheap metal jewellery (oh for shame wink). Try changing the studs for titanium, or gold (some sterling silver also contains nickel).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now