Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I wonder if I might have fractured my pelves. Worth getting it looked at?

(18 Posts)
notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 21:55:13

Slipped off a step yesterday and landed with my full weight on the edge of the step. Ow. And, well, it's sore. The bruise isn't that bad but it hurts rather lot, particular when I move in particular ways or cough.

Is there any point in having it looked at, it's not like they can put my arse in plaster hmm

NickNacks Sat 27-Oct-12 21:57:39

Your pelvis is like a polo so if you've broken it in one place then by design, it will be broken in a second place.

I think you'd not be able to hardly move if you had. A bruised coccyx is most likely.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 27-Oct-12 21:58:15

A fractured pelvis can cause massive internal bleeding. Where about on your bun did you land? They can't do anything about a broken coxyx.You should get it checked out though, better safe then sorry. I hope all is well.

peasabovesticks Sat 27-Oct-12 22:01:24

A very similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I had an enormous bruise (which took a few days to develop) and the pain was incredible. It's taken a long time to improve and after physio and chiropracteic treatment I eventually had an x-ray. The doctor was convinced it was a fracture but if it was, it was hairline. I would say get an x-ray as son as you can and apply ice every couple of ours for about 15 minutes.
You have my sympathy.

notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 22:06:00

No, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do much if I'd broken it! It's fucking sore though.

I thought it was my coxyx at first but it definitely isn't, I landed on the bottom of the bony part at the top of me bum on the right side, 1/3 of the way out from my spine. Does that make any sense at all?

My pelvis is still a bit unstable from SPD and can be a bith at times but this doesn't seem to have made that start up `t all hmm

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 27-Oct-12 22:07:31

None of us have telepathic x ray vision. Just pop to A&E, they will x ray it and see what's what.

notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 22:09:01

But is there any point having it x rayed if it can't be treated anyway?

peasabovesticks Sat 27-Oct-12 22:10:01

I thought that too but wish I'd done it sooner, for reassurance more than anything.

notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 22:11:07

pelves! Bloody hell, only just seen that blush

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 27-Oct-12 22:11:15

It depends on the fracture. They can give you some crutches (possibly). I used to take the x rays, I've no idea what they do afterwards.

notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 22:12:18

Ah, OK, might be best to pop (ha) down tomorrow then. Hrumph.

THank you all!

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 27-Oct-12 22:13:39

Ibuprofen will help. Don't take if you're allergic or asthmatic though.

notMarlene Sat 27-Oct-12 22:15:31

Yeah, been taking ibruprofen - it does take the edge off. Do you know how much I can take, I'm sure I remember being prescribed a higher dosage once but no idea what it was.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 28-Oct-12 00:40:30

I'd stick with the dose on the packet. A&E will give you something else if they think that it's OK.

arghhhmiddleage Sun 28-Oct-12 03:25:33

A pelvic fracture needs a big force. It's a RTA type injury rather than a falling down the stairs injury (assuming you don't have pre-existing bone disease). But if you are worried go and get it checked out. Go for paracetamol and ibuprofen both taken regularly by the clock, rather than increasing the dose of ibuprofen without medical supervision.

notMarlene Sun 28-Oct-12 10:20:06

Mmm, there was quite a lot of force TBH - I had my hands full and it happened so quickly that I didn't break my fall at all. Landed with my full weight (mybe 11 or 12 stone) on that one point, right on the edge of the step, it had one of those metal edge things on it too.

Might get it looked at later. Not really sure. It seems bearable under the influence of 400mg ibro but not at all without.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 28-Oct-12 20:02:06

Did you pop to A&E?

ouchmyfanjo Mon 29-Oct-12 20:58:29

Notmarlene i couldn't pass this by. You have my sympathies. Did a very simlar thing a few months back (hence my name!)
I landed more on my bits ifyswim. I had a horribly swollen labia. I posted expecting a laugh to get me through it. In fact i only just avoided an operation. I am now left with intermittent shooting pain through pelvis.
Only sayin this to urge you to get it checked now. It honestly feels much better to have someone look at it who can help and they can give you better painkillers too. If you havent already, get yourself down to a ande or your gp.mine referred me on the spot so worked out quicker.
Look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now