Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Almost 31, cycle getting shorter. Is this my fertility declining?

(20 Posts)
NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:30:12

It used to be 28 days, now it's usually 26. Wondering if this is my body saying I should be ttc sooner rather than later. Or is 2 days shorter not significant?

awaywego1 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:33:44

Marking place as I'm 32 and mine has done the same.

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:40:06

Are you ttc awaywego?

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:42:18

I read somewhere that cycles get shorter as fertility declines, but have no idea if this is just a normal fluctuation for me that I wouldn't have noticed when younger. It's been 25-26 days for nearly a year now.

Mintyy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:44:28

Yes, mine got shorter as I got older. I don't know if that is officially a sign of declining fertility, but it is certainly my experience.

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:46:52

When did it start getting shorter mintyy?

awaywego1 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:48:23

No-would love to be but have some health problems at the moment (not related to cycle) mine has been around 25-26 for a year too before that it was about 28. I have an app which I use to track.

awaywego1 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:49:36

I'm quite paranoid about declining fertility I be honest but am not really in a position to do anything about it.

Mintyy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:50:25

Hmm. Not sure. Perhaps around age 36/37? that is certainly the time we started ttc and I seem to remember that my cycle was 26 or 27 days when we were ttc, whereas it had been 28 regular as clockwork for years and years before that. I remember having conversations with my best friend (same age and also ttc) about our slightly shorter cycles.

CointreauVersial Fri 26-Oct-12 22:56:04

Mine certainly got shorter as I got older - for years I was 29 days, regular as clockwork, but by the time I was 40 I was down to 25/26 days.

Difficult to pinpoint when it started to change, as I had three DCs during my 30s. I don't know if it's a sign of decreasing fertility, though.

Now I'm 45, they are all over the place. grin

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:59:25

Hmm, thanks mintyy. I'm wondering if i'm wrong to be thinking that 30 is relatively young fertility-wise.

I'm sorry to hear that awaywego, I hope you're in a better position soon. It's only this cycle shortening thats got me thinking about it, not sure if I should be looking for other signs.

joycep Sat 27-Oct-12 10:41:50

Mine was a clockwork 28/29 day cycle for the whole of my life. But after a miscarriage over 2 years ago at the age of 30, it has ranged from 21-27 days. I have spoken to quite a few doctors about this and I have been told , this sort of thing does happen. Hormones can readjust your cycles etc and it's not necessarily a sign of declining fertility. What is also apparent is that hidden asymptomatic bacterial infections can cause periods to change but this is a controversial area . So I have been told I have hidden chlymadia dna which was tested through a menstrual tissue test. I don't have the usual chlamidia that you get tested for in the UK. Anyway, i am just starting antibiotics now so it will be very interesting to see if I my cycles go back to what they use to be. (This is all in the hope of trying to conceive).

This isn't suppose to scare, and i hope it doesn't but just to offer you other reasons as to why your cycle might have changed.

goinnowhere Sat 27-Oct-12 10:43:53

Interesting. Mine have gone shorter, but IT just thought that was me.

NotAnIdiotHonest Sat 27-Oct-12 11:22:38

That's interesting Joycep, thanks, and not scary so don't worry. I hope you are sorted soon.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 27-Oct-12 21:12:46

This happened to me too. I had a 28 day cycle bang on until i was around 27-28 years old. It then started to shorten a day at a time.

Went to the docs when I was 31, cycle now 25-26 days. GP said it could be a sign & did some tests as early menopause runs in my family. Came back with a high FSH & low LH, they told me I was peri menopausal. I was stressing out about it but single so it was kind of irrelevant.

My cycle kept shortening & was 21-22 days by the time i was 34. I then got diagnosed with coeliac disease & went gluten free. My cycle returned to 28 with two months & then I fell pregnant smile

RandomMess Sat 27-Oct-12 21:16:29

In my twenties mine were up to 40 days, in my early 30s dropped down to 30-32 per cycle, mid 30s down to 28. I've hit 40 and more like 25 days...

dottyaboutstripes Sat 27-Oct-12 22:37:00

Mine were always 27 days. Had a ruptured ectopic at 33 and when AF returned, was suddenly down to 25 days. Didn't seem to have any effect on fertility in my case as I conceived quite easily afterwards and went on to have 3 more babies (already had 3) and a mc. Almost 43 now and still 25 days regular as clockwork

NotAnIdiotHonest Sat 27-Oct-12 23:32:21

Hmm, ok might ask doc about it next time I'm there, just in case she thinks it's worth doing some tests. No early menopause in my family though.

beck36 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:59:39

I'm 40, had whopping second son three years ago and hormones still in recovery I think. My cycle now seems to be every three weeks. Maybe on my way to perimenopause?

digerd Sun 11-Nov-12 18:49:25

After 40, my periods came earlier, but erratic. Was always 28 days, but became 26-23. Still was having them though at 50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now