Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fibroids and mood swings.

(5 Posts)
Slippersox Fri 26-Oct-12 19:14:38

Does anyone else out there with fibroids feel they affect their mental state and moods.Have read online that they can but would like some reassurance I'm not going a bit made very few weeks.I also have had very low ferritin levels on and off for last couple of years and very heavy periods so that won't help.Trouble is have had some relationship problems too, mainly resolved, but it's hard sometimes to tell if I feel low, edgy and tearful due to those or the little throbbing bundles of hormones in my womb.Lovely little things.And too small to merit an operation.All I've been offered by GP and gynae clinic is the Mirena Coil but research and experience of a couple of close friends make me very resistant to have one fitted.Am in early fifties and sterilised so don't need/ want a contraceptive device and believe Mirena itself can cause depression and mood swings and can't face anything worse !Anyone else in the same boat and any ideas? Currently trying diet and herbal stuff ie.agnus castus but any other tips welcome ,or just to know I'm not alone !

Peppermintcrumb Fri 26-Oct-12 21:29:09

Slippersox

You are not alone!! I have had fibroids for years. I cope with my mood swings by taking starflower and evening primrose, multivitamin, glucosamine and calcium tablets every day.

I wouldn't recommend the Mirena coil. My GP seems to recommend one for just about every ailment! Sore throat - try a Mirena! Stubbed your toe - have you thought of a Mirena!! I'm sure she gets a bonus for everyone fitted!!
I recently had my blood pressure checked and it was mentioned again!
I have taken these tablets for a while now and feel a lot better. I hope you find something that works for you.

Slippersox Sat 27-Oct-12 07:58:51

Thanks PepperMint that made me laugh and yesterday was a horribly bleak day.Part of the problem is that where my periods were once so regular at 28 days now it can be anything between 20 - 35 days.And some aren't too bad 6-7 and barely a mood.Then an epic one lasting 18 days with a horrible build up of tension and feeling everything is pointless .So it's hard to plan or predict around them.
Yes I've had to stand really firm on the Mirena but on this issue I simply won't budge.Interestingly a couple of friends who are in their 40s were both offered endometrial ablation for heavy periods, low iron and fibroids after only a brief mention of the Mirena.Both are vastly improved.So I have been back to GP and asked for a re- referral to Gynae clinic to ask if this is not an option to consider.
Like you I cynically feel they are at worst either on a bonus for promoting Mirena ,or at best because its the cheapest option by far and especially for older women like me -50 plus who may not have much longer to go with all this palava - it all comes down to cold hard cash!
For several months have taken agnus castus, vitamin B complex,flax seed oil and obviously iron.My ferritin was as low as 1 at one point so no wonder I was on my knees!Any other tips for coping with moods ,because they have a detrimental affect on my marriage and we've done so much to rebuild, would be very welcome.But just nice to know I'm not alone.My other option is to check into a hotel for a few days when it hits and hide away from the world but work and finances don't really make that a realistic choice.Have considered it though!

Annianni Sat 27-Oct-12 08:11:33

I've got a fibroid the size of a large grapefruit and I find that taking spirulina tablets make my periods better.

I've also taken tablets with spirulina, wheatgrass and something else in them.
They were recommended on here.
If I stop taking them, I really notice a difference.

I'm not going down the medical route at the moment.
I was offered some injections that would temporarily bring on the menopause, but there was too many possible side effects, and I seem to have a reaction to various drugs and didn't want to take the risk.

I'm 40 by the way.

Slippersox Sat 27-Oct-12 08:20:16

Thanks will look those up.Never heard of them before but after the last couple of days will consider every option - except Mirena!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now