Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whooping Cough

(4 Posts)
Walshydotwan Fri 26-Oct-12 14:25:09

What do you all think about this whooping cough vaccine ?? Should I get it ?

I am 34 weeks gone and been asked to get it ?

TiAAAAARGHo Fri 26-Oct-12 14:26:39

I had the vaccine two weeks ago. Advice is to get it (and I've not heard of any negative reactions as yet) as WC is deadly in babies and they can't have the vaccine themselves for at least two months.

ginmakesitallok Fri 26-Oct-12 14:26:44

Yes without a doubt. A friends grandson has just been discharged from hospital - he was 6 weeks old when he caught whooping cough, in hospital for 2 weeks in HDU, on a ventilator, tube fed into his wee stomach and expected to continue to cough for another 6 weeks.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 26-Oct-12 17:04:22

I'd have it if I were you. My very, very fit nearly 18 yo DS1 caught a horrendous cough at the start of September. He was diagnosed with Whooping Cough on around the 24th IIRC. It was confirmed with blood tests. He still isn't right.

He is still coughing, and very tired. He trains almost daily in the gym and was running 5 miles 4 times a week, he isn't back to doing that yet. It is only in the last 2 weeks or so that he has managed to stay awake all day.

It is bloody horrible. I am so grateful that DS2, who has severe asthma, has managed to avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now