Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calcified thyroid I am really worried

(9 Posts)
PenisColada Thu 25-Oct-12 16:57:40

I saw consultant today and am being sent for a needle biopsy.
One nodule is calcified. I am really scared.

blouseenthusiast Thu 25-Oct-12 17:27:04

I don't know a lot about this but didn't want to leave unanswered. I had a needle biopsy of odd looking thyroid - was Hashimoto's thyroiditis and is treated with thyroxine. Maybe you have similar?

PenisColada Thu 25-Oct-12 18:44:11

My thyroid function tests are normal .

I did not know before today one was calcified and chances of malignancy much higher in calcified ones.

PenisColada Thu 25-Oct-12 18:44:43

Did the needle biopsy hurt ?

blouseenthusiast Thu 25-Oct-12 20:36:06

Hi, my thyroid function tests were only mildly out but my thyroid looked v abnormal I think. the needle biopsy didn't hurt much - I think they put in some local anaesthetic (was so freaked out, it's hard to remember). Someone told me that thyroid malignancy is an area they have made huge advances - very curable (this was a doctor - I was very frightened). So sorry you are going through this; I know it's scary. Have fingers crossed for you.

digerd Thu 25-Oct-12 21:08:15

Thyroid glands are easily taken out - I had a subtotal Thyroidectomy for Hyperthyroidism- and its hormone Thyroxine is easily supplemented in tablet form.
I did not have a biopsy as had no nodules , the whole gland had swelled up
There are 2 different kinds of nodules one benign and the other malignant. And only by biopsy can they be diagnosed. But it is not an aggressive form of cancer, and easily cured, and I know of several people who had it and the Thyroid totally taken out and lived perfectly well supplemented by tablet form of its hormone Thyroxine.
I know it is frightening not knowing, but the sooner you have the biopsy, the better.
Hope it turns out benign for you, but if not you don't need to fear.

Welovecouscous Thu 25-Oct-12 21:16:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PenisColada Fri 26-Oct-12 06:17:30

Thanks. I just don't want to wait to find out, it is torture. I am not sure how to cope with the waiting.

Welovecouscous Fri 26-Oct-12 08:05:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now