Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question about antibiotics

(9 Posts)
Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:00:21

Have a UTI nurse prescribed Macrodantin 50mg 4 to be taken daily for 3 days. Yesterday and day before I only managed to take 3 per day, today before I go to bed it will be 4. Do I need to take the 2 I missed tomorrow or just leave it?

Viperidae Wed 24-Oct-12 22:03:52

I would take them just to be on the safe side but you really should have taken them as directed. Three in a day will not get the levels in your blood, urine, etc get as high as four would do so there is a chance it will not be as efficient.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:05:30

The first day I forgot the last one, and the second day I forgot the first one didn't want to double take one to get back to where I was. So the 2 tomorrow yeah?

Floralnomad Wed 24-Oct-12 22:08:16

Carry on taking them until you have finished them all , don't take more than 4 a day . Has it worked because 3 days is quite a short course ?

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:12:47

Not sure, it was stinging while weeing on friday night, didn't get to drs till monday by then it had almost stopped and she tested my wee. It now doesn't hurt and I don't have belly ache any more. I was a bit hmm at the length of time but she gave me diff antibiotics then what Iv'e had in the past for it which have usually been a week course.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:16:05

On the leaflet info it says normal dose for infections 4 a day for 7 days, not sure why I only got 3 days..

Viperidae Wed 24-Oct-12 22:16:21

Current antibiotic policy in our area is 3 days for UTI

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:16:58

Oh ok thanks Vi

TodaysAGoodDay Wed 24-Oct-12 22:53:16

Do finish the course, the infection may return if you don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now