Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cracked Tongue and foul taste in my mouth

(9 Posts)

I know this is not the most important of health issues but was hoping someone could offer some advice.
I have a cracked and painful Tongue that feels furry with lumps down the side, I've also got a constant vile taste in my mouth that overides everything I eat. I seem to be producing lots of saliva and I'm struggling to swallow it. I went to the Dr yesterday and he said he didn't really know what was going on so referred me for blood tests but these can't be done till mid November. Does anyone jar any experience of this sort of thing and how did it resolve it's self or did it need some sort of intervention?

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 19:16:42

Sounds like thrush. Try sucking on some raw garlic (seriously).

Thank you I will get some tomorrow, is that not something he could have diagnosed?

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Wed 24-Oct-12 19:31:07

Your pharmacist can give you stuff to help- mouth wash and ointment. Will help whilst you wait for further tests if necessary. Have a look at nhs online

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 19:44:32

He should have been able to. Is there a thick, white coating on your tongue? Does it tingle?

R2PeePoo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:51:22

Could also be geographic tongue. The vile taste, cracks, furry etc all sound familiar. I get lumps down the side of the tongue too and it feels like my tongue is slightly swollen at times. Lots of saliva too.

I had mine diagnosed by my dentist, the doctor was unsure about it for ages. It goes away after a week or so. Water and avoiding certain foods and mouthwash helps, but I think in my case its stress/hormone related.

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:53:12

I think it's linked to your digestive system.

I'm not sure how to cure it though.

PoppyScarer Wed 24-Oct-12 22:53:36

Oral thrush, it hurts like a bastard, get thee to a GP, pronto!

PoppyScarer Wed 24-Oct-12 22:54:21

Correction: get thee to a different GP, pronto!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now