Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

US on Leg Lump - Any Sonographers (or anyone else) About?

(7 Posts)

I have a firm but spongy lump on my thigh, around two inches above the knee.

It is like half a large tomato and 'bulges' when my leg is bent. It doesn't particularly bother me, or hurt. When my leg is extended, it is not noticeable.

I am having an US on it tomorrow and, thanks to Dr Google (I know), have decided taht it is a limposarcoma. My GP is not terribly worried and I think she has referred me for a scan to appease my neuroses.

My question is, as a sonographer, will you be able to see anything nasty, and if so, can you indicate to the patient - or are you not allowed to say nuffin?

Or, any leg lump experts who can shed a light?

Or, anyone to just hold my hand? I'm a bit wobbly.

Bumping for the sleepless!

Elibean Wed 24-Oct-12 10:18:21

Just saying good luck for neurosis appeasing scan smile I know all about those!

IME sonographers won't say, but if you have a doctor doing the u/s they will.

LaFlotte Wed 24-Oct-12 14:05:14

I have had ultrasounds before, two to investigate breast lumps and one pelvic and on both occasions the person doing the scan has told me they couldn't see anything sinister at all. Maybe they were Doctors, I am not sure, but they said it without prompting. Might have been my terrified expression though!!!

Good luck.

LittenTree Wed 24-Oct-12 14:47:18

Bet it's a lipoma! Just a fat filled sac.

Hello, thanks for the replies. Busy day, just logged on.

It is a lipoma, thank all that is holy.

It was a doctor doing the scan. He said "it is a bit difficult to see, because of all the fat surrounding it". blush sad

Oh well, at least my treetrunk thigh will remain intact!

Bunbaker Fri 26-Oct-12 09:44:39

I had a lipoma behind my knee. I had it removed 10 years ago and have a lovely scar that looks like a zip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now