Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pea sized lump under arm

(16 Posts)
Catmint Tue 23-Oct-12 21:36:51

I noticed it 2 days ago, it is tender to the touch. Not raised or red.

Assuming it is not serious, what could it be?

fedupandtired Tue 23-Oct-12 22:04:20

Is it under your armpit? You have breast tissue there so it needs checking out.

JasperStreet Tue 23-Oct-12 22:08:02

Important to check it out but don't panic - could be a minor skin infection.

lucyellenmum Tue 23-Oct-12 22:12:08

it needs checking but i bet its not serious. It could be a blocked sebacious gland. I have the mother of all blackheads under my arm, they have been there for years and sometimes i give them a squeeze and its very satisfying when they come out (two next to each other). One time i when i took my dd swimming i was getting changed and noticed a marble sized lump, i barely touched it and it exploded, i was gutted because i would have liked to have given it a gold hard squeeze but i was getting dd changed confused so just had to clean it up and go for my swim.

Catmint Tue 23-Oct-12 22:13:04

Yes,in armpit.

Fairly sure it not serious just wonder what it is.

But I have promised DP I will get it checked out.

ATourchOfInsanity Tue 23-Oct-12 22:15:30

Are you pg? I had one under each armpit when my milk ducts swelled. I went to GP after having DD as they got very sore and I had a small amount of milk coming out if I pushed them - turns out breast tissue that hasn't dropped can store milk - even under your armpit! I ended up with antibiotics as it meant I got mastitis, but hopefully this does'nt apply to you...

Catmint Tue 23-Oct-12 22:18:10

No, not pg.

lucyellenmum - wow, I am not quite sure what to say!

tabbycat15 Wed 24-Oct-12 03:02:50

It could be an ingrown hair or a lymph node. Best to get it checked out.

runawaysimba Wed 24-Oct-12 03:10:32

I had this, GP checked and said it was an infected hair follicle. Went away by itself after a week or so.

Pandsbear Wed 24-Oct-12 12:34:18

Head off to the drs just to check it out. I had a lump in my armpit about 10yrs ago - was referred to the hospital, the consultant took it out to check it wasn't anything grim and it was 'just' a swollen lymph node.

survivingautumn Wed 24-Oct-12 19:57:34

Get these quite a lot - often during period. Was checked by GP who said it was fine as they are similarly painful. Can be removed apparently but they go away after a few days so haven't ever needed to bother.

Catmint Wed 24-Oct-12 21:45:40

thanks everyone.

tanfastic Thu 25-Oct-12 20:02:00

I get these too now and again in my armpit and sometimes embarrassingly down below when I have my period. I've no idea why. I also had sore swollen glands under my arms when I just had ds but put this down to hormones and milk coming in etc. They always go away in a few days. If it's tender to the touch I would say it's nothing to worry about and will have gone within a week. If not then get it checked out smile

horsebiscuit Thu 25-Oct-12 20:10:10

I went to the doc with one of these just yesterday. Actually, a bit bigger. <helpful!>
She thought it was a sensible thing to come along with especially as there is a family history of breast cancer. She had a good feeling around my tits and armpits and thought it was probably a swollen lymph node. It is mobile which is apparently a good thing. She gave me antibiotics and told me to come back if it gets very painful or doesn't go away after two weeks. I'm bf an 8 month old as well but she didn't diagnose it as a blocked milk duct, perhaps because I've spent ages trying to massage it out after hot baths to no effect. Or perhaps because she was a locum who doesn't know much about bf. Who knows.
Anyway, this reminds me, I really must trot off and take another pill. I really really don't want either mastitis or an abcess.

Catmint Thu 25-Oct-12 21:57:26

Hope it sorts itself out soon, Horse!

Mine seems to be going away, yay!

Salamanger Thu 25-Oct-12 22:15:26

I get this too, seems to happen when I shave my armpits or wear a top that digs in. Usually just lasts a day or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now