Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone want to hold my hand as I'm having surgery tomorrow?

(35 Posts)
lisalisa Mon 22-Oct-12 17:46:23

Its not the surgery that I would like my hand holding over. Its the general anasthetic. I have a phobia of anaesthetics and operating theatres. It is somehting I can't really control and I'm scared that I'll bolt like a rabbit once there instread of going in ! The day surgery unit I'm going to doesn't allow friends or relatives in the Unit other than to drop off or pick up which doesn't help as someone could have come and sat with me and calmed me down. They seem very very nice and I have explained my phobia and they have said they will talk me calmly through the procedure but just being thre todya ( I went to familiarise myself) gave me a mini panic attack . The staff were very nice but I hyperventliated and felt as if I was having a heart attaack. The surgery is necessary being a hysteroscopy to see why I am having very heavy periods and also removal of polyps inside and to test them.

Please can someone hold my hand? It will only be tonight as surgery is scheduled for first thing tomorrow

doglover Mon 22-Oct-12 17:59:37

I'm extending my hand to you. The staff will be wonderful tomorrow and you'll be so relieved to have the op completed. Good luck! x

cardamomginger Mon 22-Oct-12 18:08:23

I hate general anaesthesia as well. Very pleased that the staff are so friendly. But it is horrid. Lots of hand holding from me. And really hope the surgery goes well. XXXXXX

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 18:14:42

I have had the same surgery, but without the polyps twice, and many other ops, so have no phobia, and don't know if I can help. But i have had panic attacks when stressed, and they are awful. Had one 2 days ago, after years free of them. I take deep breaths, and tell them to go away., this time it happened in bed, and the deep breaths really helped as went away quite quickly. The hospital dr/nurse, should give you or have given you to take before entering the hospital a relaxant like diazepem 2-5 mg or even 10mg if really bad. I don't hyperventilate though, it starts with a real wierd feeling in my stomach and brain, so difficult to explain. What time will you be going to bed?

ajandjjmum Mon 22-Oct-12 18:18:04

lisa
Ask for a sedative. They don't like giving them, because it takes you longer to get over the GA, but when faced with me in floods of tears at the thought (for the same op actually), the doctor couldn't write the prescription fast enough!
Good luck - this time tomorrow it'll all be over! smile

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 18:22:29

Good, there is more support for now. I have to be up early tomorrow, to face more of the stress that caused my panic attack 2 days ago, but will be here until 9,30, if you need me.

lisalisa Mon 22-Oct-12 18:38:45

Thank you everyone - really means a lot. The nurse did say I could go to my GP for a prescription but itw as too late as they didn't have any appointments left. They didn't mention diazepem - could I ask for that before the GA or is there no point?

poozlepants Mon 22-Oct-12 18:48:56

First time I had a GA they gave me a diazepam as a matter of course even though I didn't need one. GA's make me v sleepy but along with the diazepam I was out for the count for 24 hours.
I had a GA last week for minor surgery and it was totally fine. I have had claustraphobia and panic attacks before but there was so much going on it was really ok. I played solitaire on my phone to take my mind off it and I had to wait 3 hours until they got to me. If I have a panic attack I make myself count to 300 and it gives my mind something else to concentrate on.
Recovery from the op was way worse than the ga. I actually like the feeling of drifting off -it's all very gentle. Stop thinking about it if you can. Good luck.

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 18:55:45

Diazepam is like Valium and only on prescription. I assume you will have no time to get it before arriving at the hospital, and all depends on the hospital how long before they will give it to you. Normally tablet form, but years ago we had a massive injection of valium 20 mins before going down to theatre, in which we all floated on a euphoric cloud all the way in the bed. Oh, those were the days, but we stayed in hospital for 8 days, and the old GAs were stronger than today and you took longer to recover. My op like yours was just 20 minutes in duration, and I was fine, but by then they had stopped the beloved massive injection of valium beforehand and was a one day stay only.
Certainly ask for it immediately you enter the hospital.

MrsMiniversCharlady Mon 22-Oct-12 19:11:48

Ask for a pre-med (will be diazepam or similar). I'd be surprised if one wasn't offered anyway, given your phobia.

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 19:15:22

With the GA, I never felt any drifting off, just suddenly I was waking up. They tell you to count to 10, but suddenly you are awake and it's all over, if very sleepy still and very relaxed. Your mouth will feel a little dry, but expect to keep sleeping it off for a while, which is lovely. I got annoyed at the nurses waking me up to take my blood pressure several times, but I was 55 at the time, so I suppose being older they were very careful. Enjoy your sleep afterwards.

cocolepew Mon 22-Oct-12 19:19:13

Definitely ask for a pre-med straight away, the don't offer them as standard now, but you will get one if you ask.

Good luck smile

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 19:20:01

That's what they called the massive injections of euphoric valium " Pre Meds which have been discontinued as standard procedure for everybody. We had to be admitted the day before and the night before we were all given a massive dose of sleeping pills too!!!! But no longer the case.

MrsMiniversCharlady Mon 22-Oct-12 19:22:49

You don't need to be admitted overnight for a pre-med nowadays.

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 19:50:35

MrsMinivers
Thank you for that info. but expect they are not so massive and euphoric as they used to be as they did extend the recovery time? But good to know that.

MrsMiniversCharlady Mon 22-Oct-12 20:01:25

Tbh, days of diazepam pre-med as standard are before my time, so I couldn't really comment on dosages etc. Nowadays you are still given something to relax you prior to going off to sleep, but it could be one of a number of drugs (I've rarely seen diazepam used).

Anaesthetics have changed quite a bit over the last few years in lots of ways - one of the reasons people used to feel so shitty after an anaesthetic was to do with a drug (thiopentone) which takes a long while to get out of your system and is now rarely used, except in obstetrics.

Slightly digressed from the OP - hope it goes well lisalisa.

surfandturf Mon 22-Oct-12 20:06:22

Hi, sorry to hear of your phobia. I just wanted to say that I had the exactly same procedure less than 2 weeks ago. I was initially booked in to have it done with a local anaesthetic but when I arrived that morning they decided to give me a general. I have never had a general before and was nervous to say the least. Same as you I was not permitted to have anyone with me but I met some lovely ladies with some awful illnesses which helped me put things into perspective. When in theatre I took 3 deep breaths with the mask on and was gone! Was a bit annoyed when they worked me up as I was having a lovely sleep! The waiting is the worst and I have been fine since, no pain afterwards at all really. A little back ache but I'm not sure if that's just because I need a new mattress!!! Sorry I know that won't help with your panic attacks but do ask for something as others have said. All the best for tomorrow.

digerd Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:52

LISA don't worry about the anaesthetic, it is harmless nowadays with hardly any if no side effects other than being sleepy, which you will love sleeping off. And enjoy the pre med, which you must request at the hospital.
Please let us all know how it went when you are ready.

lisalisa Mon 22-Oct-12 21:57:26

Thank you all so much. I don't really have much support at home although I do have help with the children for a while until about 8 or 9 by which time most of them have gone to bed. When will I stop feeling so sleepy and be able to function a bit? My op is in the morning and I am to be discharged by about 1pm apparantly.

MrsMiniversCharlady Tue 23-Oct-12 06:11:07

Hi Lisa, hope you've had a good night's sleep and aren't feeling too worried about today. It really varies as to how quickly you'll feel more alert - some people are wide awake pretty soon after coming out of theatre, others feel very sleepy for a few hours. A hysteroscopy is usually a quick procedure, so you won't get as much anaesthetic as with a longer case, which should help. It's likely you'll feel quite sleepy for the rest of the day but tomorrow should be better. You may feel quite emotional over the next few days - one of the side effects.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

cocolepew Tue 23-Oct-12 09:19:58

Good luck today smile

lisalisa Tue 23-Oct-12 14:03:08

Hi eveyrone - I did it!!!! Had spectacurarly lovely nurses and consultant - the latter of whom actually sat on my bed for 10 mins and did breathing exercises with me. Walked into theatre ok ( they took me in first) and started to have mild panic attack but consultant took over asking me about my kids and birthdays and all sorts and then I don't remember anymore!! Woke up very quickly and sat up and had tea with sugar ( which I never normally drink!) and a few biccies and home by 11.30.

Not at all sleepy but shaky - is that normal too?

lisalisa Tue 23-Oct-12 14:04:46

MrsMiniversCharlady - thank you for the warning re feeling emotional ! I just read a story in a magazine - fiction not true life and felt outraged wanting to write to the mag demanding to know why they would print such a horrible heart wrenching story that I actually cried about on the ward whilst waiting to be taken home!!! That's probably the reason then!

cocolepew Tue 23-Oct-12 14:37:42

Well done! You must be proud smile

Deep breathing and 'huffing' out your breath will help remove the GA from your body .

poozlepants Tue 23-Oct-12 15:23:24

Well done you! I am so glad you didn't run away. You can get cold from the anaesthetic so wrap up with a hot water bottle and a nice sweet hot drink and you'll be fine. I found it took 24 hours before I stopped being groggy and 48 before I was normal.
15 years ago it took me the best part of a week to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now