Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eyes

(8 Posts)
cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 13:13:34

I am at the end of my tether with my eyes, please if anyone has had something similar can they tell me what it is?
For nearly a year now I have had constant flooding eyes with tears pouring down my cheeks unless I am in a very warm room. My eyes are bloodshot and quite often get infected and stick together in the mornings.
I have been to three different consultants at three different hospitals, three different GP's and each one of them gives me a different diagnosis.
Diagnosis has been;
Allergy (anti-histamines given didn't work)
Dry eye (liquid tears given, didn't work)
Conjunctivitis (steriods given do work until I run out and then back to square one, only allowed to take for 2 weeks at a time as dangerous to eyes and have had 5 lots already)
Virus (Steriods given as above)
Back to allergy (surprise, surprise treatment didn't work)
Back to Dry eye (surprise, surprise treatment actually makes eyes worse)
Also had my tear ducts rinsed last time which was as painful as hell and didn't work either.
Next appt is mid Nov but I have lost faith with this consultant as he just looks in his book and gives me stuff I have told him doesn't work.
My business has gone down the pan as I have not been able to work as it involves driving and dealing with the public and I look like a vampire. I have no confidence left whatsever. I have no money left as self-employed and don't know where to turn next.
Please help if you have any ideas.
TIA

ClareMarriott Mon 22-Oct-12 18:28:39

If nothing comes of your appointment in November , can your own GP refer you to Moorfields Eye Hospital in London? You need an accurate diagnosis Good luck Clare

cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 18:55:07

Thank you clare but I am in Worcestershire. I have been to eye hosp in bham but again when meds ran out I was back to square one. Thank you for replying.

PhyllisDoris Mon 22-Oct-12 19:01:32

I have a different eye condition, managed by steroids. I have to put one drop in each eye every other day, on a long term basis and that manages the condition. If steroids work for you, you can use them long term, with check ups about once a year.
My condition is caused by dry eyes (not enough tears) which causes aggravation then inflammation if the surface of the eye, leading to them becoming bloodshot and sensitive to light. Last doc has suggested I try Doxycycline (antibiotic) as this strengthens the surface if the eye. Might be something that could help in your case?

PhyllisDoris Mon 22-Oct-12 19:02:47

My consultant is Mr Guy Smith in Swindon, who also works at Moorfields. Perhaps you could get referred to him? Not do far to go!

Ontesterhooks Mon 22-Oct-12 19:03:19

Have u any other symptoms like dry skin, weight gain sometimes very dry eyes can have a systemic cause ?

cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 23:20:14

Very interesting phyllis and yes ontest what is the connection?

Ontesterhooks Tue 23-Oct-12 19:38:34

There are several that spring to mind - thyroid probs and sjorgans syndrome ( think that's the spelling ) just might be worth mentioning to ophth or see your gp for tests ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now