Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PMS, and how to tackle this

(5 Posts)
windyday Mon 22-Oct-12 10:45:37

I'm quite certain I have PMS, lots of other things have been ruled out. And my mother was treated for this, I recall, and I think it can run in families. I'm seeing my doctor soon about something else, so might mention this then. Usual symptoms a week before period include, tender breasts, dreadful back pain, and low mood.

However, I have a few questions, if anybody could please help that would be appreciated. Or if you could tell me your own experience and how you managed it. I also wondered if this has affected anyone's fertility, as I think it can (?) as we've been trying to ttc for a long time (I have a dc, pre these symptoms, so was fertile), investigations have shown all is fine.

I've been wondering also about natural remedies and changing my diet and lifestyle; cutting out caffeine, exercising more (I am not very active though my weight is normal). Tryptophan is something that I've read about too, or would you recommend something on prescription instead?

quazi Mon 22-Oct-12 13:22:25

I went to see my doctor who recommended vitamin B6 and evening primrose oil. It made a huge difference to everything, and I am truly astounded - and very relieved!

cocolepew Mon 22-Oct-12 13:34:54

As well as what quazi has said also try something like Magnesium OK. Lack of minerals contribute to horrible periods . Diet wise , cut back on the refined carbs and sugar.

St.Johns Wort might help with your lowest moods, but if you take any prescription medicine check that you can take it.

windyday Mon 22-Oct-12 17:00:26

Thank you both. I'll go and have a look at those tomorrow.

hiddenhome Mon 22-Oct-12 21:28:03

I've been following a healthy diet programme (self devised) for about 8 weeks now and have had no pmt for the past two periods.

I've cut out virtually all refined sugar, junk, wheat and caffeine. I eat plenty of oat based stuff, fruit and veggies, nuts and seeds, healthy drinks and low fat protein.

I'm full of energy and I started my period the other day and didn't even realise I was due on because I hadn't had any pms smile

Even if you just cut sugar, junk and caffeine it should help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now