Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arthritis. Any alternative remedies that help?

(8 Posts)
nellyjelly Sun 21-Oct-12 20:53:45

My 72 yr old dad has this now in spine and hips. He is in loads of pain. He has a painkiller but loathe to take it as makes him drowsy so mainly uses paracetamol.think it begins with a T.

Anyone found any alternative remedies that help? Diet, magic potions, anything?

WitchOfEndor Sun 21-Oct-12 21:02:00

My mum swears by apple cider vinegar and Manuka honey in a mug of hot water twice a day. Manuka honey is also supposed to help with digestion and apple cider vinegar is supposed to help with cholesterol so if it doesn't fix his arthritis it's still doing some good.

Jellykat Sun 21-Oct-12 21:07:53

The main one i constantly have recommended to me is Glucosamine with Chondroitin (available in tablet form) and my rheumatologist also says fish oils.

nellyjelly Mon 22-Oct-12 12:15:01

Great. Thanks. Will pass on the info. Anything is worth a try.

Telesales650 Mon 22-Oct-12 12:32:48

I take Glucosamine but in a high dose 1000mgs twice a day for wear and tear arthritis in neck and shoulder, works a treat!

PainForLife Mon 22-Oct-12 16:37:58

I was on glucosamine & condroitin but my G.P has stopped this as apparently it does not have any effect & has now been withdrawn by the powers that be as prescribed medication. so I would check this with your G.P. I've been put on Naproxen now & finding it quite good.

LoveAndSqualor Mon 22-Oct-12 17:42:41

My mum and aunt both have arthritis in their joints; both swear by devil's claw - here's a piece on it. HTH!

nellyjelly Mon 22-Oct-12 20:58:52

Thanks for the info ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now