Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Black bits in vomit, could it be blood?

(50 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:02:29

I am taking diclofenac long term 50mg x 3 daily (occasionally miss one dose a day) have been on them since christmas 2012. I started taking omeprazole after getting some mild indigestion about 2 months ago? I sometimes forget to take it, but mostly I do.

I have kept an eye out for the whole 'coffee granules' in my sick so thought I knew what it would look like.

I threw up yesterday after experiencing a little indigestion, I had only eaten yoghurt for breakfast, and nothing the night before that had anything dark in it.

In it was what looks like tiny bits of toast crust, dark brown/black small flecks. I realise I have seen them before recently (am sick from time to time, put it down to meds) but had actually thought it was toast!

Anyway, had painful indigestion this afternoon, then a craving for chocolate which I ate, then threw up after taking some indigestion tablets. Again there was quite a lot of dark, not the creamy brown of the chocolate.

Should I check this out with gp when I see them tomorrow? What does it mean if it is blood/a tear etc? what would they do? How serious is it?

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:03:23

and meant to say, I did not think it looked like coffee granules, but then, I drink fresh so was comparing to that maybe? does not look like granules, as darker.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:24:48

anyone? If it is blood (concerned as I think it might be) should I see gp today? I am due to see my own tomorrow morning anyway so can it wait? it can can't it?

delllie Sun 21-Oct-12 18:29:14

Is it the omeprazole MUPS you are taking?, as the little 'balls' that make up the tablet turn very dark over time.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 21-Oct-12 18:30:40

You nee to see your GP ASAP, unexplained vomiting over a long term needs to be assessed anyway.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:31:52

not sure, will go check the omeprazole, it is a white capsule one a day.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:32:17

framey tomorrow will be ok yeah? I does sound like blood doesn't it?

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 21-Oct-12 18:49:16

It sounds like coffee ground vomit vomit to me. You should ring ooh's tonight, especially as it happened yesterday as well and you are on Diclofenic.

delllie Sun 21-Oct-12 18:53:48

Omeprazole MUPS are orange usually so doesnt sound like you are on those. I would contact OOH's to be honest, blood in your vomit in any form isn't really something to be blaze about ((hugs))

FrameyMcFrame Sun 21-Oct-12 19:00:04

Why don't yiou just ring the out of hours GP just in case, better to be over cautious about these things.

bigbluebus Sun 21-Oct-12 19:50:20

DD used to take Omeprazole for reflux. She is entirely tube fed. She often had black dots (looked like poppy seeds) in her vomit. If some of the dissolved Omeprazole got left in a syringe it would turn into dark brown bits. So I would suggest that this is what you are seeing.
SHe has also been known to have brown patches in her vomit which is apparently dried blood (otherwise known as 'coffee grounds').
AFAIK, the time to worry if there is blood in vomit is when it is red and fresh or if it is in large quantities of dark brown

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:52:32

oh I am always on the bloody phone to the doctors, out of hours and my own. I am just never bloody well these days <sorry for self emoticon> I can really do without any more complications to add to the mix, I want to get back to work tomorrow!

It's funny, I have been sick soooo many times over the last few years as I had HG with both children and with last child now almost 3 had it horrendously, sick several times every day and towards the end I also had acid indigestion - I ripped the osophegus due to excess acid, now that was scary! but bright red blood so since then I have always kept half an eye on my sick. So it is weird that I know this is a bit unusual for me as I know what my sick looks like if that makes sense, i know what food turns it what colour and consistency, and what is better or worse to bring back up - that's gross isn't it, that I know it that well!

And this dark, I have thought it was toast in the past, maybe it has been happening longer than just this weekend.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:56:09

big the fresh red blood was actually less concerning to my gp! when pg I threw up a horrendous amount of bright red blood, almost could not breathe for the force of it, after prior to that throwing up acid for about 30 mins, and went running to my surgery in a panic! He said as it was fresh it was almost definitely coming from my oesophagus.

There is enough dark in my vomit to smatter the whole lot each time I hurl (sorry for the tmi) but not a huge amount that has left me feeling Oh My God.

Interesting that it could be the omeprazole.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:58:03

and if i ring ooh dh will just do the whole hmm at me and think i am making a fuss/am always ill/act fed up with it all. I might wait until tomorrow and not make an outward fuss.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:58:59

the omeprazole in the capsules are tiny little granules aren't they? the dark is not uniform shaped, but it could be those granules if they don't dissolve?

Iteotwawki Sun 21-Oct-12 20:01:27

Sounds like it could be altered blood you're throwing up - that in combination with the diclofenac would make me think ongoing gastritis or a small ulcer. If you're not so anaemic you need transfusing then they probably won't do much out of hours but you'll need a gastroscopy to rule out anything else / confirm diagnosis. High dose omeprazole is sometimes used for big bleeds, or triple therapy to treat the bug that is associated with it (helicobacter).

delllie Sun 21-Oct-12 20:03:47

I dissolve my DD's omeprazole in a bit of water, the residue always turns a purply/brown colour after an hour or so, so it could be that that you are vomiting.

Iteotwawki Sun 21-Oct-12 20:12:05

Omeprazole in the stomach doesn't look black and granular (having seen it a few times). Hard to say for sure without looking directly at the evidence but I wouldn't discount ongoing gastric bleeding - you need a scope to make sure it isn't.

If you're feeling otherwise well (that bad indigestion pain stopped or still going?) then I wouldn't think you need to worry with ooh if you're going tomorrow anyway. If you have ongoing severe pain, then ooh may be a good idea.

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Oct-12 11:07:34

thanks everyone for all the advice. I saw my GP this morning, she was not hugely concerned as there is no ongoing indigestion and the indigestion has only become a big problem this weekend. She wants me to continue taking the omeprazol without fail, stressed the importance of this, and said if I throw up again in the next couple of weeks and see the same black bits in it she will up my omeprazol dose. She really was not hugely concerned.

I will monitor and keep an eye and make sure that any change in pain or indigestion, more vomiting etc will be reported to my GP asap.

Thanks again.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:03

You take Diclofenic and are vomiting coffee grounds, yet your GP is not concerned!shock. Please tell me she has at least told you to stop the Diclofenic.

denialandpanic Mon 22-Oct-12 20:37:24

I thought they would Change you to a stronger stomach protector e.g lansoprazole. You might want to looking at moving to a Cox2 anti inflammatory like calexicob. They are supposedly easier on stomach but potentially worse cardiac issues. I'm on top dose much to the alarm of my new gp. Oh and yes at least one person is reading your blog :-)

denialandpanic Mon 22-Oct-12 20:37:53

How was work?

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Oct-12 21:51:21

tuttu nope not concerned. Only to say if it happens again she will up the omeprazol. Did not tell me to stop the diclofenac. I felt like I was making a huge fuss over nothing.

denialandpanic I go back tomorrow. on 4 hours per day rather than 9-5, like that for two weeks, then up to 5 hours for two weeks, then see how I am with view to back to normal. My line manager was relatively hostile, so not expecting a huge welcome back. More get on with your job ffs.

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Oct-12 21:53:48

denial that post bored me sooooo much. I just complain all the time. I could not imagine anyone would want to read that shite. So I removed it and decided to be happier. Then my lovely DS came upstairs and thus I had my post. Make sure it is the right one though. I had 7 'likes' on my most recent post only to find I had posted to an old trial blog that was empty! blush

I am furious with my GP. But she has been supportive in the past and is so when it comes to work I feel bad for thinking badly of her. I don't want her to be wrong. But she seems to be on several counts.

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Oct-12 21:54:30

and no mention by her of a stronger stomach protector sad <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now