Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Internal ultra sound scan anyone?

(18 Posts)
MadMumToThree Sun 21-Oct-12 00:33:57

this is my first OP so be gentle

I have Sarcoidosis which affects my lungs, lymph nodes and voice such fun but following a CT scan also seems to be on my ovaries - well hopefully it's that or cancer but gynae seems fairly sure it's sarc - so got to have an internal ultrasound.

Any experiences to help me? Presume if I have my period it's a no go but do I need full bladder like a normal ultrasound?

SirBoobAlot Sun 21-Oct-12 00:42:20

When the did my ovarian scans, they did an external part first (full bladder) then they asked me to go to the loo to empty my bladder so they could do the internal.

They will still do it if you're on your period.

You'll get a letter about all of that when you get your appointment through, though, I expect smile

Be prepared for it to be somewhere between a bit uncomfortable and damn painful (sorry, but would rather be honest!), labour breathing techniques can be a good way to get through it. They will tell you to relax, and you will want to look at them like they are mad, but if you can relax as much as possible, it stops you being so tense.

Hope it goes okay for you.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 21-Oct-12 00:42:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 21-Oct-12 00:45:02

MrsShrek3 Sun 21-Oct-12 00:46:46

Others have pretty much covered it but try not to lyao or shock when they slap a condom on the probe thing...my face must have been a picture the first time grin

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 21-Oct-12 00:49:32

Iceaddict Sun 21-Oct-12 00:50:56

Hi I have sarcoidosis to, mine was muscularsceletal (sorry if not spelt right) and also affected my lymph system. I did have an internal scan once although not related to sarcoid and it was not a bit painful for me but I did not have any ovary probs so could be different, maybe take some painkillers half hour before just incase. good luck

cardamomginger Sun 21-Oct-12 01:17:50

Hi,
I've had several of these and found them mildly uncomfortable, but certainly not painful. I should imagine that whether it is painful/extremely uncomfortable depends on whether it's painful round your vagina or not. Can't remember about full/empty bladder. Your appointment letter should give more details. If in doubt, go with a full bladder - you can always do a wee, but it's harder to magic up a full bladder.
Sorry you have to deal with all this. X

OrangeLily Sun 21-Oct-12 01:24:36

TBH by the time I had an internal I was so out of it on pain/painkillers/after affects of constant vomiting from pain I may have not given a flying duck what they stuck up there but I just remember I had one because I couldn't keep my bladder full due to the vomiting. Had to go empty what little I had in my bladder first. It was like a big giant wand but they only used a bit of it, they didn't try to do any magic trips and make it disappear wink. I don't remember a condom but it was a few years ago.

It wasn't for the same condition as you, I'm not familiar with whatever it is you have but sorry you are Ill sad

sashh Sun 21-Oct-12 03:54:13

I was offfered a choice of condoms hmm it's not nice but not painful either.

MadMumToThree Sun 21-Oct-12 07:58:52

Thank you! I knew this was the place to ask. My letter does mention full bladder but not that it's an internal - will fill up anyway. Reckon it can't be any worse than them taking a sample of my womb lining - ouchy.

Ice sorry you also have this too - hope you don't suffer too much.

Sashh choice of condoms! Lol can't wait - that is the only bit my DSis remembered from hers years ago.

Sirbob yep labour breathing has got me through a lot the last few months.

Iceaddict Sun 21-Oct-12 08:52:10

I was diagnosed 10 years ago so had treatment, its not 'active' anymore but I have weeks where I'm quite poorly. It comes on suddenly and disappears just as quickly, usually brought on by stress or when I'm over tired for a while.
Mine can be made worse by sunbathing, as vitamin D can kick it off.

Hope you get this sorted and the problem with your ovaries is sorted out really soon.

I remember the weird condom to, I thought it was like a massive war time one smile

hazeyjane Sun 21-Oct-12 09:02:30

Will do it with a period, no full bladder.

I have had to have lots of these, and it has never hurt, so hopefully it won't for you.

I find it a good idea to tense up before they put it in, so you can breathe out and relax everything when the probe goes in, IYSWIM!

ToothbrushThief Sun 21-Oct-12 09:07:44

Madmum if you have had pipelle sampling then this will be a doddle! I've had both and the scan is nothing compared to that

MadMumToThree Sun 21-Oct-12 11:45:27

tooth don't know what it was called but it hurt!! Not helped by my tilted backwards womb - they had to remind me that moving up the bed wasn't helping blush

Elibean Sun 21-Oct-12 12:18:29

I've had lots, mostly for fertility treatment purposes but also to check some spotting (turned out to be a teeny polyp), and they have never hurt.

No full bladder needed, in fact best not full smile

If they poke hard to the side to try and get a good image of one of my ovaries, which has a tendency to hide, it can be uncomfortable - but never painful.

My top tip would be to try and relax as much as possible - easier said than done, of course. Good luck, hope the sarc improves soon.

Elibean Sun 21-Oct-12 12:19:10

ps if they want you to have a full bladder, its not an internal scan - it will be an ordinary external ultrasound, which is definitely not painful smile

MadMumToThree Mon 29-Oct-12 14:40:11

So, had scan this morning - was indeed an internal so full bladder not needed - which I happily emptied grin

Was fine - well as fine as it can be with a large probe up your fanjo blush

Couldn't see my right ovary very well but got measurements to compare to MRI results from a couple of months ago - results in a couple of weeks.

Was a bit disappointed I couldn't see the screen though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now