Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

(10 Posts)
MurderOfGoths Sat 20-Oct-12 22:06:19

So the doctor suspects I have carpal tunnel, in both arms. Shooting pain from my fingers up to my elbows all day long.

So while I wait for my physio appointment to come through, has anyone found anything that helps? I'm already taking Diclofenac and Co-Codamol for other pain, but I've been on them so long that they have little to no effect now.

CMOTDibbler Sat 20-Oct-12 22:10:03

Splints - takes the pressure off your median nerve. And you can try rubbing ibuprofen gel onto the inside of your wrists to help the swelling

Piffpaffpoff Sat 20-Oct-12 22:11:02

Have you tried wrist splints? They helped me when I had it post-DS1. You should be able to get them on prescription or, if not, any pharmacy or on-line.

Hope you see an improvement soon.

MurderOfGoths Sat 20-Oct-12 22:20:05

I have tried them, but they didn't help much. The doctor did say she thought the physio would fit splints for me properly

MousyMouse Sat 20-Oct-12 22:25:02

splints and warmth and rest(!) help.
it's just so difficult and a vicious cycle beause you needs your arms/fingers for bloody everything.

steroid injections also help to kick-start self healing, but again for that you need rest. no lifting, no typing...

MurderOfGoths Sat 20-Oct-12 22:36:05

"no typing..."

Gah!! But but but.. how do I MN then? <sobs>

MousyMouse Sat 20-Oct-12 22:39:16

if it's both arms, maybe arms can be treated separately? so you can still mn

Baskets45 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:32:59

Have you had thyroid function checked? I had crippling pain for years till was eventually treated for underactive thyroid, and it gradually faded. CTS type pain is a textbook symptom of hypothyroidism, but sadly not recognised by all GPs IME.

MurderOfGoths Sun 21-Oct-12 19:34:16

No, I haven't. Just a referral to the physio.

bonnieslilsister Mon 22-Oct-12 12:58:33

I had acupuncture really good result from it. Eventually had surgery. The acupuncture works best when symptoms are not too severe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now