Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post Natal Reflux?

(5 Posts)
hokeycakey Sat 20-Oct-12 20:29:21

I had dd2 8 months ago and had some chest pain & feeling of a lump in my throat which I put down to stress and anxiety however over the last month the chest pains have got worse and worse and sometimes I feel as though my throat is closing up

My gp thinks I have reflux caused by pregnancy And has prescribed me some capsules to take with a follow up next week however I was left with so many unanswered questions I don't know if this is permanent or will go away or if I should be avoiding certain food or drink

I am finding it all so stressful not least because I am often worried it is something more serious I am never unwell so this has been a shock to the system especially the chest pain and breathlessness. Has anyone had a similar experience?

R2PeePoo Sat 20-Oct-12 21:33:57

I have something that sounds similar. What capsules did the GP give you?

Mine was diagnosed as GERD (gastro-esophageeal reflux disease) and it gets worse when I am stressed and anxious. Symptoms are heartburn, palpitations, dizziness, small amounts of digested food coming back up into the mouth, sore chest and breathlessness. I also fainted when it was particularly bad as my digestive system drew blood from my brain (vasovagal sycope), but I had been ill and stressed for months and months.

Things that help are small healthy meals and not overfilling my stomach, not eating after 8pm and milk. Certain foods aggravate it -citrus fruits especially, but also alcohol (wine is the main culprit), most fruits, spicy foods and fizzy drinks. The more sleep and rest I get the better I feel. If I stay up too late at night (ie 2am) I feel much worse the next day.

For me its permanent but most of the time it is under control, it flares up if I eat the wrong thing. I have medication (lanzoprazole and mebeverine) but I don't take it most of the time, I mostly control it with peppermint tea/camomile tea and the occasional rennie.

It feels horrible at its worst, especially when its an effort to breathe and I know my mind went down all sorts of terrible paths but so far I have had three blood tests, an ultrasound, a gastroscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy and an Xray and they haven't found anything else (other than a slightly herniated stomach which is apparently making the symptoms worse and is down to previous pregnancies).

R2PeePoo Sat 20-Oct-12 21:39:57

Posted too soon.

Anxiety has lots of physical symptoms as well and has a big effect on my digestive system. I went for counselling for some issues I have and my physical symptoms improved immensely after that, so that is another path you could consider. Its hard to eat when your stomach is clenched and you are on the alert all the time!
Sounds like your GP is on the case, but don't let them fob you off if you are worried.

Hope you feel better soon!

hokeycakey Sun 21-Oct-12 16:43:56

Thankyou so much for your reply it is great to know I am not alone! Dr has predcribed omertrazole which I have 4 weeks supply of so far.... I have history with anxiety & stress too which I guess has made things worse bit of a chicken & egg situation now as I feel so stressed about the reflux!

I am trying to relax this weekend the lump in my throat feeling has gone a bit but the chest pains are still around so funny because I feel like I am over thinking eating all the time as not sure what I should be eating I will see how I feel at next drs appt

Again thanks do much for sharing smile

R2PeePoo Sun 21-Oct-12 21:35:03

I know exactly what you mean about overthinking eating!

Potatoes and carrots are good and 'safe'. Chicken, turkey, fish, steamed or baked with a small amount of oil. Salad (iceberg to begin with), roasted peppers, simple grains like couscous and quinoa, ricecakes, rice etc. Steer clear of too much fat, salt and sugar and anything overly processed or with additives (I've lost two dress sizes as an added bonus!)

If you start with those then you can settle your stomach and add other things one at a time and see what your triggers are. I stuck to these and it made me feel like I was in control a bit. I started two months ago and am now eating relatively normally again, adding in one thing at a time. The main thing I can't eat and wish I could is pizza, but the tomatoes and stringy hard to digest cheese mean its guaranteed to give me a couple of hours of reflux and nausea.

I have sold it to myself as my body's way of telling me to take care of myself and I have been trying to relax and enjoy it a bit (the shopping for new smaller clothes helps a lot!). I have been making other major lifestyle changes as well by doing things that relax me and make me happy, putting myself first occasionally!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now