Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weight loss (unwanted)

(10 Posts)
Elibean Sat 20-Oct-12 15:15:59

I started eating less fat (and no biscuits or chocolate) at the beginning of September, in a bid to lower my cholesterol levels and get healthy....and now (though I panicked about 3 weeks ago and started eating a lot more carbs and a fair bit more fat!) I am still slowly losing weight, looking scrawny, and not sure why confused

I did go to GP, who ordered bloods and an abdominal/gynae u/s because of my age and medical history (hepatits years ago, but am sure its not related) - the u/s was fine, though obviously not a very fine-tuned test, and get bloods back on monday.

I have been more anxious than usual, for a variety of reasons, but could that account for my inability to put weight back on? Really? dh says I'm worrying over nothing...but.....

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 20-Oct-12 15:17:16

How much have you lost and how much of that was since you started eating more again?

Elibean Sat 20-Oct-12 15:28:36

I started at 9st, lost about 4lbs whilst on low fat/exercise - over about 2-3 weeks - and am now 8st 8lbs. So not a lot, but it shows a fair bit as I wasn't very big to start with.

Its more the inability to gain no matter what I eat that is worrying me - in the past, I've had very stable weight and been able to gain or lose a couple of pounds within a few days either way, just by snacking between meals, or not!

I'm 52, btw, and no other life changes going on.

Elibean Sat 20-Oct-12 15:29:28

Sorry - I've lost about 2lbs since I've been eating more. But I've been eating a lot more.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 20-Oct-12 15:43:17

How many weeks have you been eating more? I have always found that i have a delayed reaction to eating more or less. So if i am on a diet and have a bad week and eat loads i don't notice the weight go on until the following week.

The amount you have lost doesn't sound excessive.

Elibean Sat 20-Oct-12 16:05:04

I've been eating more for two weeks. I know it's not much, and I understand the 'oil tanker effect' as dh calls it - it's just unusual for me.

I usually put weight on or off within days.

amummienetter Sat 20-Oct-12 20:20:13

Hi Elibean. My guess is you've had a delayed reaction from the initial diet with exercise and the anxiety from the weight loss is prohibiting you from putting on weight.
When I'm anxious I can stuff myself silly and not gain a pound whilst loosing weight in the process but when I'm feeling content the pounds pile back on.

Moln Sat 20-Oct-12 20:23:06

It's not a whole lot really - try not to be worried about it!

Did you GP check your for diabetes?

HazleNutt Sun 21-Oct-12 09:35:47

anxiety and weight loss could be symptoms of overactive thyroid, do you remember if your GP had your thyroid tested?

Elibean Sun 21-Oct-12 12:20:57

Thanks all smile

I think the anxiety bit has a lot to do with it, probably. Yes, they are testing for just about everything from liver, kidney and full blood count to CRP, thyroid and diabetes. I got a keen young GP who didn't want to miss anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now